Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worried about liver enzymes

(3 Posts)
VeryNaice Wed 06-Jul-16 20:27:36

After months of pain I finally had my gallbladder removed 2 months ago. It was done as an emergency case but was a relatively uncomplicated procedure. Since then I've had nothing but problems.

I was readmitted post op with a suspected infection but everything came back fine. They send me home and I've been in pain ever since. They thought it was bile reflux and said it would settle.

I had a recent blood test due to ongoing pain and fatigue. Liver enzymes came back elevated. Doctors referred me for a non urgent appointment at the local hospital. I was told there would be a long wait.

A few days later I woke up choking on bike in the middle of the night and collapsed in pain the following morning. Taken to hospital and told my liver enzymes were in the 500s. Doctors seemed worried.

I am now due to see a liver doctor on Friday.

Seriously worried. Doctor seems cagey when I ask him whether these levels are dangerous or not. Also nobody seems to have any idea what is wrong with me.

I have a 2 year old and I'm scared.

VeryNaice Wed 06-Jul-16 20:28:42

Sorry 'bike' should be BILE blush

Musicaltheatremum Fri 08-Jul-16 08:36:48

I wonder if you have a stone somewhere that is is bl blocking the bile duct. Sometimes one gets left after surgery. (They're tiny, can't always be seen). There are several liver enzymes GGT which is very sensitive and goes up if you sneeze sometimes often elevated in fatty liver disease and alcohol. ALT which goes up with liver cell damage and Alkaline phosphatase which goes up with obstruction. If it's obstruction then they can remove the stone and everything goes back to normal. It's very reassuring to watch these cases.
Obviously I don't know what your results are or anything else but this could all be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now