Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

B12 help

(7 Posts)
Bonkerz Wed 06-Jul-16 18:34:53

A bit of back ground.
Diagnosed with b12 deficiency in October 2015. Given tablets but levels only went from 93 to 186.
Injections started December and I had 6 injections over 3 weeks.
After 6 weeks I started feeling rubbish again!
12 weeks after loading doses I had another injection. I felt OK for about w weeks then slowly began to feel bad again and by week 8 I was shattered.
Injection at end of May and had bloods done. Levels came back 585 so doctor agreed to give me 2 injections in June.
Levels done today show they are at 1400 which is good but doctor is confused about how often I should have my b12.

AveEldon Wed 06-Jul-16 18:50:12

Some people feel better having more frequent injections
I have mine every 8 weeks

Bonkerz Wed 06-Jul-16 19:05:58

I can't cope on 12 weekly injections. My symptoms come back at around 6 weeks after my jab so ideally I'd like to try 6 weekly.
The dr thinks that because my blood shows high level that I could wait again. She doesn't understand how b12 blood isn't a good indicator and that my symptoms are a better way to determine when I need my jab

ihearttc Wed 06-Jul-16 19:53:37

I have mine every 10 weeks...my 9 weeks my symptoms have come back but my GP won't do any sooner than that (and 10 weeks took a lot of persuading!).

ipswichwitch Wed 06-Jul-16 20:17:50

I had the same issue as ihearttc. My symptoms come back at about 8 weeks. It took a lot of discussion arguing to get them to agree to bring the jab forward from 12 weeks to 10, and the nurse was quite arsey last time I asked if it could be brought forward. She kept on about blood results but it's only every 6-12 months i get it checked (by gastroenterologist since the gp is not interested in doing bloods), and he said a better guide is my symptoms.

ihearttc Wed 06-Jul-16 21:00:39

My symptoms also improved hugely after I got diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and got put on medication for that.

dreamingon Fri 08-Jul-16 15:24:18

I have mine every 12 weeks but start to feel the effects earlier.

I had problems getting my injection this time as nurse said I needed a blood test which showed levels were ok.

Eventually spoke to my consultant who said levels will show up ok as regular B12 injections are given. He said injections will be every 3 months for life without the need for further blood test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now