Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

There is such a thing as slow-release Metformin, isn't there? Or have I imagined it?

(7 Posts)
BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 06-Jul-16 11:54:24

I asked for my prescription to be changed to slow-release but when I picked it up it was regular and when I asked the pharmacist she had never heard of a slow release version.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 06-Jul-16 18:44:50

Yes, there is a slow release form. You're not imagining it. It is more expensive and I think not allowed to be prescribed in some areas but it is supposed to reduce side effects.

AveEldon Wed 06-Jul-16 18:49:12

Yes it does exist - Glucophage SR

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 06-Jul-16 19:13:20

I pay for my prescriptions so cost isn't the issue. I suspect it's just not available in Ireland, which is a pain in the neck as I've been having quite a lot of trouble with it lately.

trinity0097 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:58:48

Switch to a low carb diet and you can probably ditch the metformin totally. Have a read of the forums on diabetes.co.uk

Musicaltheatremum Wed 06-Jul-16 22:33:17

was just typing out a response about prescriptions and costs then see you are in Ireland. I take it there are no free scripts for diabetics there either (unless you're not on it for diabetes)

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 06-Jul-16 23:08:21

There is free drugs for some chronic conditions, but I haven't sorted out the paperwork yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now