Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anybody had shingles twice?

(14 Posts)
SilverHawk Mon 04-Jul-16 21:13:21

Or is it some other related rash?

LotsofDots Mon 04-Jul-16 21:19:15

Shingles can recur, it's not a one time only thing.

SilverHawk Mon 04-Jul-16 21:22:29

If someone was run down and generally under parr, probably a little stressed could this throw the immune system into round two of shingles?

Banana99 Mon 04-Jul-16 21:25:12

DH has had it twice, ex boss had it numerous times

CatherineDeB Mon 04-Jul-16 21:25:45

I have had it several times, about three years apart, bloody grim, I first got it when I was 31 and am now nearing 50.

I remember spending a very miserable Christmas alone with shingles, my mother had had heart surgery a couple of weeks before and I lived a couple of hundred miles away.

I had chicken pox twice too, once as a child and very badly as a teenager.

CatherineDeB Mon 04-Jul-16 21:26:48

Yes to your question Silver. Mine is always when I am knackered, been busy, my blood disorder isn't quite under control.

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Mon 04-Jul-16 21:26:49

I've had it twice. With both outbreaks, I was not stressed or rundown in any way. I just got shingles randomly.

The second attack was much worse than the first. Also, I had them in completely different places. Once a round my midriff, and once on my shoulder.

SilverHawk Mon 04-Jul-16 21:30:46

Oh dear, huge sympathies for all of you. I'm clutching at straws and hoping that it's Christmas tree rash at the moment. It's still painful and I think the same virus, maybe.

SilverHawk Mon 04-Jul-16 21:51:27

I hope that you are all okay afterwards. TheEmoji the different places is looking true. Nothing ever seems text book iygwim.

justtheonethen Mon 04-Jul-16 21:53:21

I've had it twice, if you think it's shingles get to the doctor asap as the anti virals are more effective the quicker you start them I was told. My sympathies, it's horrid.

SilverHawk Mon 04-Jul-16 22:05:36

Thanks all. Onto the Doctor in the morning if I can ...
I think I need the anti virals. Acyclovir?

LotsofDots Mon 04-Jul-16 22:33:10

Shingles lies dormant in between bouts, so it's not contagious, just once you have it, you have it, like cold sores. You can however give someone vulnerable chicken pox if you have active shingles.

CatherineDeB Tue 05-Jul-16 07:02:05

I have never had the antivirals. Two of my bouts where when I was pregnant, lowered immune system I guess.

I hope you get something to help Silver.

waitingforsomething Tue 05-Jul-16 13:50:53

I had it twice, once just after my wedding where I had it in my mouth, and once just after we moved abroad where I had it on my midriff. Both were at the start of the wind-down after high-stress events. The bout in my mouth was one of the worst experiences of my life!
I am only 30 and very fearful of having it again.
Acyclovir is what I had both times, I really hope you feel better soon OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now