Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Goitre - to remove or not?

(6 Posts)
HeyMacWey Mon 04-Jul-16 14:55:46

I've got a goitre on the right hand side of my thyroid. It's been there for about 8 mths.

I've had a fine needle aspiration and thankfully nothing worrisome discovered.

Consultant said to monitor and perhaps remove when I'm bored of monitoring it.

Next fna is next week. After the first one the goitre reduced in size slightly, it now feels larger than before. It's not pushing on my wind pipe or causing any problems swallowing.

I'm very conscious that it's there though. You can notice it if you're looking at my neck.

Should I have it removed? From research it looks like I may need thyroid medication afterwards depending on how much is removed. I have cfs /me and worry that this will cause a relapse, but then half of me thinks that perhaps the cfs is actually done live of thyroid problem despite blood work being fine.

The risks worry me re: affect on voice and throat. 2 in 100 have had some complications. This seems quite high to me?

Any experience anyone?

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 06-Jul-16 13:14:29

If you have a diagnosis of CFS/ME, it's actually quite possible that you already have an undiagnosed thyroid condition and that this is the cause your symptoms.

In my experience it's easier to diagnose CFS/ME rather than treat a thyroid condition properly. That's exactly what happened to me.

HeyMacWey Wed 06-Jul-16 13:24:51

That's what is in the back on my mind but the doctors are adamant that my thyroid is functioning well confused

My cfs/me is post viral cfs/me but 3 years down the line in assuming it's just turned into regular cfs/me.

krisskross Wed 06-Jul-16 13:27:03

Hi, I have one too, thankfully Fna all ok. Why are you having it repeated? My mum had a big one and drank a radioactive solution to shrink it, seemed to work.

HeyMacWey Wed 06-Jul-16 13:29:55

Consultant just said to repeat it in three months. It came back clear though so doesn't sound as if there was anything to worry about.

Do you have yours checked annually?

krisskross Wed 06-Jul-16 15:35:16

Hi again, I've just been diagnosed. Got the all clear on FNA and waiting to see consultant again end of July.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now