Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MRI Results - How Long?!

(7 Posts)
CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Mon 04-Jul-16 09:52:09

I had an MRI on my head on the 2nd June, and neither my GP or I have had the results.

I did call the hospital last week who put me through to the MRI dept, they said that it had been sent over to the consultant (who I haven't actually seen, only the registrar). I've managed to get the numbers of the consultant and registrar secretaries but it has constantly been going to voicemail over the past few days and nobody has responded to my messages!

Apart from being a little annoyed that I haven't heard from them I am working myself into a bit of a state convincing myself that they've found something significant on the scan ("why have they sent it over to the consultant?", "why is it taking so long, is it because the problem they've fond is so complicated" etc. etc.).

Aghhhh - someone tell me to calm down (and possibly how I can get through to someone who never seems to answer their phone!!).

CiderwithBuda Mon 04-Jul-16 10:15:08

Getting through the admin barrier can be the hardest part!

No suggestions other than to keep trying and maybe write or email too.

I'm sure if it WAS something sinister they would have been in touch so the fact that they haven't is probably a good sign.

DS is having an MRI on his head tomorrow as he has been having daily headaches so I'm about to go through the same thing as you with the waiting.

Even trying to get through to the paediatrician was a nightmare. We had seen him once and he said just contact his secretary if we needed to see him again. Of course it wasn't that easy! Due to the wording in the letter he had sent to the GP he had actually discharged DS and we had to go through getting a GP referral again. And then DS just went back into the general appointment system. I got offered an appointment in September. He has already missed 6 weeks of school and has GCSEs next year. I kept trying the secretary and eventually got through first thing one morning and got to see the paediatrician that afternoon. We had had lots of run-around with his secretary being off sick and her colleagues promising to call me back but not etc.

If you don't get through at all I would maybe contact PALs. The system shouldn't be that difficult to get through.

itsmine Mon 04-Jul-16 10:29:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Mon 04-Jul-16 10:31:39

Blimey CiderwithBuda - what a palaver! I'm sorry to hear your son is having headaches, it is a very stressful wait isn't it. Lots of luck.

I'd already had to chase for the MRI appointment itself as the registrar forgot to order it, so this just seems to be adding insult to injury (literally).

I will give PALS a call if I don't have any luck - thanks for the suggestion.

cmereiwantcha Mon 04-Jul-16 13:26:07

I unfortunately had the something sinister and was phoned by the radiographer the next morning to come in right away for another scan.

I hope that's a small comfort!

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Mon 04-Jul-16 18:20:07

I'm so sorry cmereiwantcha - I hope you're doing better now.

I finally managed to get through to the consultant's secretary. A letter was sent on Friday and lo and behold there it was when I checked (our letterbox is in the lean to so have to go collect it).

I have an unremarkable brain - never did I think I'd be so pleased to hear such words smile

It's great news - looks like I'll need to change my migraine medication.

CiderwithBuda Mon 04-Jul-16 21:19:22

That's great news Cuppa Tea. And what I'm hoping to hear about DS.

Cmereiwantcha (said in Dubln accent?) - I'm sorry yours wasn't good news but hope its solve-able.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now