We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

where to go to get abscess drained (under arm)

(37 Posts)
bearofnothingness Sat 02-Jul-16 15:04:38

it's massive has a tiny head an hurts so much. where do I got on a sat to get it seen to? or shall i just leave it? Would a dr's nurse drain it?

treaclesoda Sat 02-Jul-16 15:13:47

Is there a minor injuries unit near you? TBH they seem reluctant to drain these things though, they seem to always want to try a course of antibiotics first.

Poor you, things like that are agonising.

pinkieandperkie Sat 02-Jul-16 15:17:19

When you say massive how big is it? If it's got a head it sounds like it's nearly ready to burst on its own. Try soaking cotton wool in really hot water and keep applying. This should help to relieve the pressure.

WellWhoKnew Sat 02-Jul-16 15:19:11

Sporner's corner.

Katymac Sat 02-Jul-16 15:23:26

possibly here?

bearofnothingness Sat 02-Jul-16 15:25:27

Its grape size and deep I will try the hot water soak

hollinhurst84 Sat 02-Jul-16 15:25:54

Hot flannel or v hot bath and soak it. They're v v reluctant to drain them in my experience and you're likely to just get antibiotics. I drain my own now

bearofnothingness Sun 03-Jul-16 15:11:25

It's getting worse! How would I drain it ? I can only get small amounts of pus out sad

3littlefrogs Sun 03-Jul-16 15:54:20

I saw a video on u tube where a man used a hot glass bottle (rinsed out in hot but not boiling water) placed the opening over the abscess and as the bottle cooled, the resulting vaccuum drained it.
I will google.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sun 03-Jul-16 15:55:49

Pleeeease film it whatever method you de use to use!

3littlefrogs Sun 03-Jul-16 15:55:53


This is gross but fascinating.

3littlefrogs Sun 03-Jul-16 15:58:12


this is better

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 03-Jul-16 16:00:57

Keep bathing it in hottish salty water. If pus is coming out already then I doubt it'll need lancing but you might need antibiotics. Are you using TCP or Savlon?

wobblywonderwoman Sun 03-Jul-16 16:03:34

Did you use driclor deodorant by any chance? This happened to me a few few years ago. So painful. Hot baths will help

bearofnothingness Sun 03-Jul-16 16:42:00

bottle isn't working sad just small bits come out, i want a whosh

PotteringAlong Sun 03-Jul-16 16:48:14

Hot flannel, as hot as you can stand might help. Or red hot shower, aim the head at it?

3littlefrogs Sun 03-Jul-16 16:50:27

It sounds as if you need to go to the walk in centre or, failing that, the GP tomorrow (practice nurse would be able to advise).

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sun 03-Jul-16 16:52:53

Could you call OOH? If it is really big I wouldn't try to burst it on your own, aside from anything it would probably really hurt, and you might need antibiotics.

bearofnothingness Sun 03-Jul-16 17:23:21

Am going to try to get appointment but will try the salt water and hot water soaks it's so painful mad

Trumpette Sun 03-Jul-16 17:33:18

Get to the GP tomorrow and get tested for staphylococcus aureus. It is not serious but you can be given antibiotics and it will kill the infection.

I had an abscess under my arm years ago and was tested for SA and treated as I had other abscesses come up too. I was very run down.

They are extremely painful so you have my sympathy! A hot compress and maybe a couple of drops of tea tree. But do wash your hands after touching the abscess.

TheChippendenSpook Sun 03-Jul-16 17:37:16

I had to have one under my arm drained under general anaesthetic. It was about the same size as yours and I was in agony.

I would leave it alone and go to the gp tomorrow.

TheChippendenSpook Sun 03-Jul-16 17:38:55

This was last year and I had to have two weeks off work afterwards as it needed to be repacked every day.

bearofnothingness Sun 03-Jul-16 19:28:21

Bliley that sounds awful have tried shower and bath but nothing feeling fluey now

TheChippendenSpook Sun 03-Jul-16 19:48:41

If you are feeling unwell then you definitely need to see the gp. The dr Lanced mine first and a tiny bit of gunk came out bit it was too solid/huge and it had to be removed surgically the next day.

I feel for you as the pain when you catch ot on something is horrific. I can still remember it now!

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sun 03-Jul-16 21:12:18

OP if you really are feeling fluey please see a doctor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now