Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Broken ankle recovery

(3 Posts)
pippinandtog Tue 28-Jun-16 13:53:00

I slipped over in the garden and fractured my ankle in three places 13 weeks ago.
Had to have pin and plate surgery and am currently in a walking brace and one/two crutches.
I wonder if anyone has advice on how long their recovery took; I just want to get back to normal, but my job is very active and I work long shifts, so I'm not ready for that yet.
Would appreciate any advice or encouragement.

P1nkP0ppy Wed 29-Jun-16 19:39:39

It took about 4 months before I walked without crutches/boot and probably nearer a year before it felt 'normal'. Nearly four years on it's fine, I can walk miles and it only swells if I'm standing on it for long periods or if it's really hot weather.
I had a Weber C fracture, pins and plates.

pippinandtog Wed 29-Jun-16 19:56:30

Thank you, Pink. I don't think people realise how long recovery takes- sometimes they express surprise that I'm still on crutches, but according to the physio, I'm ahead of where he would expect me to be- I'm working really hard with all my exercises.
Certainly will never take for granted again good health, independence and mobility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now