Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eye bother (contact lens wearer) - GP or optician or walk-in?

(9 Posts)
JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 09:07:04

Last night when I took my lenses out, my right eye felt gritty and irritated when I blinked, as if it had something in it. Went to bed thinking it might resolve. Still there this morning.

I have put in a daily disposable lens, which actually improves things, I'm guessing as it creates a soft barrier between the eyeball and eyelid wherever the infection/foreign body is. But obviously I need to see someone tomorrow.

Is this one for the GP, walk-in clinic, or optician? I can probably get seen by each of them tomorrow, just want to go to whoever is most appropriate.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 09:21:23

?

CPtart Sun 26-Jun-16 09:22:18

You may have a corneal abrasion. As a contact lens wearer I've had a couple. Feels like something in the eye, worse if you look in a particular direction. Try rinsing the whole eye with saline (if you have any) and if no better I'd go to a WIC. They can stain the eyeball to check. An eye ointment cleared mine but I can't remember the name. It's messy but coats the eyeball better than drops.

hazelnutlatte Sun 26-Jun-16 09:32:56

I had something similar and called the optician, they saw me the next day and diagnosed me with an ulcer. I couldn't wear my lenses for a few weeks and it cleared up on its own.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 09:44:12

great, thank both - it's reassuring that what you've both experienced was easily resolved.

turns out GP open surgery is Weds now, so that leaves optician and walk-in
I will definitely see one or the other ASAP

BrieAndChilli Sun 26-Jun-16 09:55:22

I think if you are already a contact lens wearer (and so an eye problem is quite likely to be related) I would go to the opticians.
If not a contact lens wearer I would go GP or walk in but they are likely to say go to optician I guess?

insertimaginativeusername Sun 26-Jun-16 10:03:36

I would get to a pharmacy today as that sounds like the start of an eye infection.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 11:43:43

thanks again for the very helpful suggestions
it turns out my optician is open on a Sunday <god bless city life>
have got a cornea check arranged for this PM.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 17:28:29

i am sorted smile
i have an inflamed eyelid (nice) which apparently is indicative of some kind of allergic reaction. I was dispatched to Boots to get some anti-allergy eye drops, which are already making a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now