Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eye bother (contact lens wearer) - GP or optician or walk-in?

(9 Posts)
JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 09:07:04

Last night when I took my lenses out, my right eye felt gritty and irritated when I blinked, as if it had something in it. Went to bed thinking it might resolve. Still there this morning.

I have put in a daily disposable lens, which actually improves things, I'm guessing as it creates a soft barrier between the eyeball and eyelid wherever the infection/foreign body is. But obviously I need to see someone tomorrow.

Is this one for the GP, walk-in clinic, or optician? I can probably get seen by each of them tomorrow, just want to go to whoever is most appropriate.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 09:21:23


CPtart Sun 26-Jun-16 09:22:18

You may have a corneal abrasion. As a contact lens wearer I've had a couple. Feels like something in the eye, worse if you look in a particular direction. Try rinsing the whole eye with saline (if you have any) and if no better I'd go to a WIC. They can stain the eyeball to check. An eye ointment cleared mine but I can't remember the name. It's messy but coats the eyeball better than drops.

hazelnutlatte Sun 26-Jun-16 09:32:56

I had something similar and called the optician, they saw me the next day and diagnosed me with an ulcer. I couldn't wear my lenses for a few weeks and it cleared up on its own.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 09:44:12

great, thank both - it's reassuring that what you've both experienced was easily resolved.

turns out GP open surgery is Weds now, so that leaves optician and walk-in
I will definitely see one or the other ASAP

BrieAndChilli Sun 26-Jun-16 09:55:22

I think if you are already a contact lens wearer (and so an eye problem is quite likely to be related) I would go to the opticians.
If not a contact lens wearer I would go GP or walk in but they are likely to say go to optician I guess?

insertimaginativeusername Sun 26-Jun-16 10:03:36

I would get to a pharmacy today as that sounds like the start of an eye infection.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 11:43:43

thanks again for the very helpful suggestions
it turns out my optician is open on a Sunday <god bless city life>
have got a cornea check arranged for this PM.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 26-Jun-16 17:28:29

i am sorted smile
i have an inflamed eyelid (nice) which apparently is indicative of some kind of allergic reaction. I was dispatched to Boots to get some anti-allergy eye drops, which are already making a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now