Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anxiety and poo?!

(14 Posts)
user1466620912 Wed 22-Jun-16 19:47:34

Sorry about the crude detail!

Anybody ever experience a hyperactive bowel shall we say alongside anxiety?
Had a very stressful few weeks and found I'm now going 3 times before lunch! Once on waking and then 2 more times in fairly quick succession of this.
Not everyday but most days. Then don't go again!

No other symptoms

user1466620912 Wed 22-Jun-16 19:49:42

Crude title even! Not detail!

Must just add - prior to this I only really went once in the morning

Stool is normal although perhaps slightly lighter in colour than normal!

Cannot believe I'm writing this on the net grin

GooodMythicalMorning Wed 22-Jun-16 19:52:01

Yes. When my anxiety is bad I go a lot. I think it is something that happens a lot with this type of thing.

Fitzsimmons Wed 22-Jun-16 20:01:29

Yes, I've had bowel issues with anxiety, and the more I stress about it the worse it gets, a vicious circle. CBT helped me immensely.

MeganChips Wed 22-Jun-16 20:05:48

Yes I get this, I don't even need to be anxious, just nervous.

My mum always said I had a nervous stomach, I think it's quite common.

blue2014 Wed 22-Jun-16 20:06:58

Yes it's a normal sign of anxiety. Evolutionarily so you can run faster from danger with empty bowels

P1nkP0ppy Wed 22-Jun-16 20:09:32

Yes.
It drives me mad and sod all you can do about it. I have IBS too which certainly doesn't help 😖

milkbottle Wed 22-Jun-16 20:12:35

Yes it is normal and all about the fight or flight reflex. I get it too when I'm really anxious, also feeling sick. Horrible isn't itsad

Bonkerz Wed 22-Jun-16 20:16:00

Yes. I have had severe diarrhoea for months now. It was so bad last October that I went for blood tests.
I'm actually on propanalol now for anxiety which halved my toilet trips.

RitchyBestingFace Wed 22-Jun-16 20:16:35

I understand it's to do with the release of cortisol - the stress hormone.

Hence the phrase "to shit oneself"

ILOVEMATHEWPERRY36 Wed 22-Jun-16 20:20:05

It's perfectly normal to experience that when anxiety levels are high however watch out for blood, mucous, pain, lumps bumps or feeling your poo is incomplete... Never be scared to run anything past your GP either !
When my anxiety is bad I am running 6 times a day is not much fun !

StarUtopia Wed 22-Jun-16 20:25:56

Yes. ALl the time. Not helped at all by bowel damage from childbirth.

My husband thinks it's hilarious - me obviously not so much!

Tbh, it can be very debilitating at times. Take today. Went to Tesco's to kill an hour. Took my laptop and work with me. Ordered a coffee. Sat down. As soon as everything is set up (and therefore I'm too sorted to move) I suddenly need to poo. Massively.

Or every time we go to TK Maxx!!!!

Basically, anytime (or anywhere) where it's inconvenient to go to the toilet or there is no toilet. I can't even go on long walks now sad because as soon as I set off and I'm miles away from a loo, I need to poo.

user1466620912 Wed 22-Jun-16 20:26:12

Thank you sooooooo much X

Kenworthington Wed 22-Jun-16 20:31:41

God yes it's awdul, again I have ibs too. I've always suffered with nausea and tummy ache etx with anxiety even when I was little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now