Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you have a look at my weird nails please

(8 Posts)
murphys Mon 20-Jun-16 08:22:03

I usually wear clear or nude nail polish but I took it off a few days ago as otherwise my nails get a bit discoloured if I don't give them a break.

I was quite shocked to see they are two toned, and after some Googling, it appears to be what is called Terrys nails.... confused

Has anyone had this before. I don't know if its something underlying that warrants me rushing off to a doctor, or if its something that just comes and goes.

My first thought was that I had used one of the Scholl nail buffers things a few weeks back, and after that my nails did feel a bit sensitive.

If so you have this, could you just share if you know what caused it please.

murphys Mon 20-Jun-16 10:24:24

Sorry for bumping, just Googled some more and wish I hadn't....

PollyPerky Mon 20-Jun-16 10:39:25

Go to your GP!

murphys Mon 20-Jun-16 11:41:31

Hi Polly, we both posted on the ibs thread this morning...

I have made appointment for a check up at dr tomorrow morning. As per my other posting, not eating well etc, I see that one of the causes of the nail change is malnutrition. I think this is very possible actually. I am nervous to go, he has been my GP a very long time and I know he is going to crap on me... I need to get my head out of the sand now though. BMI is 17 right now, so I think my body is now trying to tell me something.....

murphys Tue 21-Jun-16 14:31:08

Just wanted to update on my thread.

I did go to my gp today, I have a serious infection in bladder and kidneys. I have NO symptoms at all! It seems my nails were trying to tell me something...

I was sent for a whole barrage of tests, I feel like a pincushion, but in a few days we will see if there is anything else abnormal.

Snog Thu 30-Jun-16 07:49:51

How are you doing now OP?

Toddlerteaplease Sun 03-Jul-16 22:13:06

A friend of mine had nails that looked similar (but worse) than that and it was something called 20 nail dystrophy. I think it is a deficiency of some sort.

murphys Thu 07-Jul-16 09:20:43

Sorry, Snog I haven't been online for a while.

My tests come back, a few things to keep an eye on, liver function as well as bone regeneration not 100%. Although I am clear of infection now, nails are still the same. I had to go back to dr for a follow up appointment (I don't go often so I think whilst he had me there he is being very thorough), and he thinks it may be circulation issue. It is winter here and I am cold ALL THE TIME sigh...

So I am on a tonic to increase appetite and had vitamin b injection.

THanks for asking, going to look at the 20 nail thing now too... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now