Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm addicted.

(9 Posts)
themediocrefishewoman Sat 18-Jun-16 15:53:50

Hi mumsnet, I'm new here so don't expect good formatting or anythig.

Ever since the birth of my second child, i've suffered from extreme anxiety.
Rather than going to a doctor like a sensible person, a friend at the time told me about an anti anxiety drug called 'Xanax'.

I did my research on Xanax and thought, 'right, I'm going to try some of this'.
In the States (where I live) its quite easy to obtain xanax illegally so I foolishly went and bought some.

My life has now been changed. It started slowly, me just taking a 'bar' (pill) of xanax a day, but quickly increased to two, three, even up to four on some days.
I stopped interacting with my children, being a single parent, this was even worse. These past few months my addiction has stopped me seeing my kids, I've had to leave them at their fathers.

Some evenings, I take three pills just to forget the day I just lived before, and to put me to sleep. I can't find help anywhere

I need it

gamerchick Sat 18-Jun-16 15:55:37

You really should see a doctor.

MadisonMontgomery Sat 18-Jun-16 15:56:09

I don't know much about the American healthcare system, but I think the first step would be seeing your general practitioner - they might be able to refer you to counselling and put something in place to help you get clean.

themediocrefishewoman Sat 18-Jun-16 16:03:07

I'm too scared to undergo the detox stuff though

I'm scared I'll miss the pills

Minniemagoo Sat 18-Jun-16 16:06:32

Contact your local narcotics anonymous meeting. Someone there should be able to be honest with you about coping without pills and should have info on local programmes available.
Things will only get worse and harder to get out. Today is better than tomorrow .

Footle Sun 19-Jun-16 18:26:05

Xanax is Prozac I think. You do need to face up to the idea of getting help to come off them, or you won't get your children back.

AwkwardSquad Sun 19-Jun-16 19:34:47

Xanax is a benzo, similar to Valium, not Prozac which is an SSRI. You need advice on alternative strategies to manage your anxiety, OP, alongside a managed withdrawal.

BastardGoDarkly Sun 19-Jun-16 19:44:25

Hello op.

You are already experiencing how this addiction will take everything from you.

You need to get clean.

No, it won't be easy, but if managed properly, it won't be that bad.

This will be the rest of your life if you don't, and will only get harder.

Best of luck flowers

MountainDweller Sun 19-Jun-16 23:46:55

Cutting back really slowly and finding another way to treat your anxiety is probably the best thing. Your doctor should help. Don't try to stop them cold turkey, it can be dangerous. Look up 'Xanax taper' on Google. I think the recommendation is to cut the dose by 10% per day, then stay on the new dose for several weeks. You have recognised that you have a problem, which is the first step.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now