Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone developed issues with chocolate?!

(9 Posts)
broccoliflowers Fri 17-Jun-16 19:07:18

I mean an intolerance?

I'm at the least wondering if it's a bit of a bad laxative for me at the mo :/

(I do love the 70% stuff)

Horrendous aches in lower gut/ rectum.

dodobookends Fri 17-Jun-16 19:17:28

Erm... how much of the 70% stuff have you had? I've got a feeling I've read somewhere that too much chocolate is a laxative, sorry!

Have some cake instead grin

Lordamighty Fri 17-Jun-16 19:25:21

Crikey I have found just the opposite, too much chocolate = constipation.

PlinkPlonkPlunk Fri 17-Jun-16 19:34:50

Yes! Only quite recently. I used to be able to eat a £1 beat of Dairy Milk in a single sitting with no ill effects. Any time I've had even half a bar recently I've been running to the loo.

lrb978 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:42:46

Not me, but a friend has had to give up chocolate because it was causing really bad indigestion.

broccoliflowers Fri 17-Jun-16 19:52:46

A colleague said her young daughter can't have it as it causes chronic constipation and I'd read before it was laxative.

Trying to gauge if I have to completely give up or just cut back.

giving up isn't really an option

broccoliflowers Fri 17-Jun-16 19:57:58

Actually it's just occurred to me that I'm on iron tablets which caused some diarrhea at first so perhaps the two are being a bit explosive.

I'm admitting to wolfing quite a few squares during breakfast the other morning. blush I just had such a horrible bruised like ache the next morning before I went to the loo, but the ache remained as if bruised, fading during the day. This has become quite frequent recently but not as bad as that.

dramalamma Fri 17-Jun-16 20:12:31

Check what the ingredients are in the choc that you're eating - I haven't worked out what is a trigger for me yet but there is something in some brands that doesn't agree with me but I don't know what it is! Eg I can't eat the crunchy caramel one from lidl but I can usually take their 70%. Sorry that's not much help but I guess what I'm saying is you might have to do some sleuthing rather than stop eating it all together!

PollyPerky Sat 18-Jun-16 16:57:17

Chocolate contains caffeine so it can set off any problems anyone has that are made worse by caffeine. I can't eat chocolate as it irritates my bladder - I have irritable bladder (like IBS but different.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now