Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Any advice gratefully received.

(15 Posts)
magicstar1 Thu 16-Jun-16 11:42:23

DH was told by his doctor on Monday that he has type 2 diabetes. His last blood tests about 2 years ago were clear, so it's come on since then. He was prescribed tablets, but that's it...not more information yet. I know he'll be getting appointments for the clinic, and a dietician soon, but what should we do in the meantime?

His worst habit is fizzy drinks...maybe 4 or 6 litres of coke etc. every day, along with chocolate and cake each day. He's stopped this completely since Monday, and is just eating healthy, home cooked meals.
Since yesterday, he's been feeling very tired and nauseous...would that be from the sugar comedown? How do you keep the levels stable?

gamerchick Thu 16-Jun-16 11:47:00

He will feel crap if he's been taking in that much sugar. Maybe a dentist appointment to check alls well in that area.

Has he his machine yet to check his sugars?

magicstar1 Thu 16-Jun-16 11:59:00

Yeah he's had a few teeth out over the past few years...wouldn't listen to me, but this is a real wake up call.
He hasn't had any other test to check his sugars apart from the blood test last Thursday..doc called him on Friday for a Monday appointment where he told him.
I'm worried that cutting everything out suddenly might be doing him some harm.

RB68 Thu 16-Jun-16 12:00:47

try diabetes.co.uk they have a good forum and fb pages too.

Because of high sugar intake before he will feel like shit for about a week till his body ajusts to his new normal.

Try and get him onto a Desmond course which despite my skepticism (around current healthy eating = carb overload) was very good. It is carbs you need to be looking at of which sugar is one.

The tablets also have side effects - they have medicated him for the levels he was at - he has stopped the sugar intake and taken the tablets - double whammy, I would book for him to see diabetic nurse asap and try and get some balance in what he does, by giving up all sugar cold turkey its not making it likely it will last etc its almost too much - although some people can do it.

Exercise will also help him to balance his mood as well as reduce sugars in the blood. Seriously read and read and read and then take a step back and look at hings in balance and ask how he thinks he can live and make those changes,

Its tough - I had a heads up with gestational diabetes and two parents type 2 one insulin dependent. But still get down and still binge a little now and again even though I know the damage it can do.

RB68 Thu 16-Jun-16 12:02:39

oh and they don't now give meters to type 2's unless they really really have to - the Desmond course goes into why and it does make sense in the long term

RB68 Thu 16-Jun-16 12:03:23

should also say partners can go on the desmond courses as well and it might be worth while

magicstar1 Thu 16-Jun-16 12:54:55

Thanks a million...I don't think we have a Desmond course (I'm in Ireland), but he will have appointments in the diabetes clinic, and I'll see if I can go with him.
Good point about the tablets too...we'll get on to them straight away and check about his levels.

Thanks again smile

AppleMagic Thu 16-Jun-16 13:00:45

The tablets (presuming they are metformin) have gastro-intestinal side effects so could be making him feel sick. They tend to wear off after a week or so. If they don't he can ask for the slow release version if he isn't already on them as they are gentler.

Also agree that if he's used to having high blood sugars, having "normal" blood sugars will make him feel like he's hypoglcaemic even though he won't actually be. He will adjust though.

Blood glucose testing strips are horrendously expensive in Ireland so they won't want to do that unless it's really necessary.

scaryteacher Thu 16-Jun-16 13:47:22

Have a type 2 dh. I find the Hairy Bikers diet books great for controlling weight and sugar levels. Also I get up and sort breakfast for dh each morning, so scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on wholemeal toast, tomatoes and ham on wholemeal, beans on toast, porridge, muesli (have found one with a low sugar content), low fat yoghurt (just made with low fat milk, no added nasties), and fresh berries.

Doing breakfast ensures he has had protein which fills him up. He has the low cal option at work at lunch, and a Hairy Bikers dinner. He does have the odd magnum sometimes, but he has dropped 10kg in about 8 months and kept it off, and the medication has been reduced.

I also found this book very helpful
The Insulin-Resistance Diet--Revised and Updated: How to Turn Off Your Body's Fat-Making Machine Paperback – 1 Jan 2008
by Cheryle R. Hart (Author), Mary Kay Grossman (Author)
It's on Amazon, and I used it to remove ds's pre diabetes markers. The trick is to ensure that a meal has at least 50% of the amount of protein to carbs, so 30g of carbs, and 15g or more of protein for example. If the protein outweighs the carbs, then good. Dh and ds are both carb sensitive, so I limit bread; spuds are normally steamed or cooked in their skins, rice is 50g dry weight per person, and pasta 75g dry weight. Broccoli and brown rice are your friends.

I keep stacks of cherry tomatoes in the fridge and lots of apples in for when dh is truffling for something to eat instead of crisps or toast.
Hope that helps!

fortifiedwithtea Thu 16-Jun-16 14:00:27

My dad was dx with type 2 aged 56. Him drinking many litres a day of fizzy drink was a symptom that made my mum nag him into going to the doctor.

Do get the form filled out for exemption of prescription charges.
The tablets have side effect of the most evil farts known to man. When he does it in public Tesco walk away very fast and he really won't be able to help it.
He should carry a banana with him in case of a low sugar wobble
He can still eat home made fairy cakes in moderation if wholemeal flour is used, less sugar and no icing, just add a few sultanas.
Porridge is good for breakfast
Make sure he looks after his feet, no tight socks.
Book a regular eye test

HTH

TheFirie Thu 16-Jun-16 19:24:01

I just read this book a couple of months ago. I don't have diabetes, but it was on display at the library and it is very interesting. I strongly suggest you look at your library if they have a copy

TheFirie Thu 16-Jun-16 19:24:31

thebloodsugardiet.com sorry it is 4.25 am were I am

JellyBabiesSaveLives Thu 16-Jun-16 21:01:08

Low-carb not just low-added-sugar. And if they start pushing him towards a low-fat diet, ignore them. Eating lots of fat does cause insulin resistance, but its the carbs that get turned into glucose and stuck in the bloodstream.

Exercise (even a short, brisk walk) straight after meals helps a lot.

JuliannalovesCliveBixby Thu 16-Jun-16 21:04:10

Blood sugar diet. Cures type 2.

Almostfifty Thu 16-Jun-16 21:53:14

I'm another that would recommend the blood sugar diet book. The information in it makes so much sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now