Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

awaiting biopsy results for possible sarcoma, any advice on wound care?

(8 Posts)
nipersvest Wed 15-Jun-16 20:59:23

long story short but am going through investigations for sarcoma, there is a swelling in my knee which has had a growing hardened lump inside it since xmas. have had 2 ultrasound scans, an mri (which i'm getting the full results for on monday), and was called in for a biopsy today.

my leg is ok, only really hurts when i bend it, i have steri strips on the wound and a big plaster over that. its in quite a fleshy place, just above my knee. my leg was already swollen there, and now it it even bigger. they didn't give me any advice today about looking after it, anyone know how long i should leave the steri strips in place? and when i should take the plaster off?

pennycan Thu 16-Jun-16 22:13:56

I had a biopsy last year and don't remember having to take any particular care. I think I just carried on as usual until the steri strips fell off! I hope everything goes well with your results. Unfortunately I underwent all that and it turned out to be liposarcoma, but it is very rare, and I'm still here and cancer free.

nipersvest Thu 16-Jun-16 22:48:21

pennycan, can i ask what treatment you had after your diagnosis? i get the mri results on monday, although i was told a little at the biopsy as they had the mri on screen. the biopsy is to see if its synovial sarcoma.

bearleftmonkeyright Thu 16-Jun-16 22:58:08

I had a benign myxoid tumour removed about 10 years ago. I remember it was pretty painful and was left with a significant scar and a big lump of muscle off my left leg. Hand holding for you, it's a worrying time. No special treatment bit I o remember a lot of blood around the steri strip. It was pretty brutal.

pennycan Sun 19-Jun-16 00:20:07

I had 5 weeks of radiotherapy followed by an op to remove the tumour. I have got a 6 inch scar and a bit of a muscle 'bulge'. I have a chest X-ray and follow up every 3 months and I have got a follow up MRI on Tuesday. At least they have mentioned the possibility to you. I had an u/s, MRI and biopsy and they still kept telling me it was nothing to worry about! Good luck and positive vibes to you. X

nipersvest Thu 23-Jun-16 09:39:50

pennycan, just wanted to let you know i finally have a diagnosis, thankfully its not sarcoma, its something called pvns, a benign tumor. am back to the hospital on monday to talk surgery as its the size of an egg and still growing.

bearleftmonkeyright Thu 23-Jun-16 17:00:52

Such good news. Mine was similar but a bit smaller about the size of a sprout. They took it all in the biopsy. I remember the wait. I'm so pleased for you.

pennycan Thu 23-Jun-16 21:04:16

That's great news. Hope it all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now