Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High blood pressure

(7 Posts)
bearofnothingness Wed 15-Jun-16 07:56:09

Not sure what I can do to lowe this! Practice Nurse says it's on the cusp of being high but i am relatively fit, size 14 a little overweight (11 stone 5 ft 6) dont' smoke, probably binge drink sat nights and exercise moderately. any ideas what i can do before I see dr for proper apointment>?

MidMay Wed 15-Jun-16 13:07:17

Any you on medication - hormonal contraception?

Stress - can play a big part to increasing blood pressure. Is this significant?

White coat syndrome - BP often raised when medical staff taking it. Ask for a 24hr tape as that might highlight patterns eg is it high at work?

BP often increases around time of menopause too.

bearofnothingness Wed 15-Jun-16 21:38:59

have Mirena coil, am a bit stressed with work and probably menopausal too

Tanfastic Wed 15-Jun-16 21:45:59

As other poster says, you need a 24 hour monitor. Mine is always high at the docs. Same age and similar height and weight to you. When I was strapped up to the 24 hour monitor it showed when I was at home pottering about and asleep it was completely normal. When I was racing about at work it was on the high side. Was told they only medicate if it were high when I was resting/asleep.

SealSong Wed 15-Jun-16 22:01:58

Sorry to butt in, but where do you get a 24 hour monitor? Can the GP loan them?

Tanfastic Wed 15-Jun-16 22:37:13

Mine was offered to me by the nurse when I was on my pill check up and she noticed my be was high. This was years ago mind...

MidMay Thu 16-Jun-16 08:11:21

Seal it is something the GP organises if you've been displaying with high BP. If you are concerned about yours, perhaps have a word with your practice nurse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now