Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CIN 3 smear result - Drs called to make appointment. is this normal?

(20 Posts)
Lemond1fficult Tue 14-Jun-16 14:12:19

Just that really. I had my smear 3 weeks ago, then just over a week later the nurse from my surgery called to say she'd had my results back, they were CIN3 and I needed to have an appointment within 2 weeks. I was about to go on holiday for a week the next morning so she emailed the next day to say she's booked me in for the day after I get back (this Thursday).

She's been amazing, but has anyone else had this? And does this unusually efficient service mean she knows something I don't?

Makeupbabes Tue 14-Jun-16 15:14:29

Ooh I'm not sure, I've only ever had one smear and was sent a letter to say everything appeared normal. Can't you ring up and ask why they need to see you & you won't be able to enjoy your holiday with it up in the air.

Makeupbabes Tue 14-Jun-16 15:15:35

Sorry just re read your message and you've already been on holiday

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 14-Jun-16 15:17:16

All she'll know is that you need to see a Dr as you've got CIN3 results. I used to work in admin at a surgery in my uni holidays and if the Dr requested to see a patient within a specific time frame we'd always try and book an appointment for them as soon as possible.

Lemond1fficult Tue 14-Jun-16 15:34:36

Thanks everyone. Grotbags, would you ring the person directly with a CIN3? The only thing that's been giving me the willies is that everyone I've read about on here got a letter. So I'm paranoid that I'm getting extra service because something in the results has indicated something worse than CIN3.

(Last day of holiday is tomorrow - hasn't been the best but there are worse places to worry!)

eurotrash Tue 14-Jun-16 16:08:12

Who is the appointment with? I'd of thought a CIN3 result would be seen in colposcopy clinic at hospital to sort some treatment out.

I wouldn't read too much into it - I had cervical cancer and my dodgy cells were highlighted on my smear teat and I just got a letter saying I needed to go to an appointment at colposcopy and from there they diagnosed it.

Lemond1fficult Tue 14-Jun-16 16:13:37

Eurotrash The appointment is with the Gynaecologist department at my local hospital, but the nurse was from my local practice. The nurse did say there's a 2 week target they have to hit with colonoscopies for CIN3 results, so maybe it's to do with that?
(I know that seems most logical, but my brain is not being helpful).

Sorry to hear yours was cancer - how are you now?

Lemond1fficult Tue 14-Jun-16 16:14:20

Sorry - stupid autocorrect. Meant Colposcopy.

Cherylene Tue 14-Jun-16 16:17:26

I have only had recall with breast screening, where they send you an appointment already made (don't ask or ring for those). It was for a week later but all was ok (had to change it anyway as it was inconvenient).

They have timescales that they have to respond within for all the screening programmes.

OneTiredMummmyyy Tue 14-Jun-16 16:51:18

If you have a look online the smear abnormality grading will become clearer to you. Basically abnormalities are: borderline, mild (CIN 1), moderate (CIN 2), and severe (CIN 3).

On the basis you have a more severe abnormality, they will prioritise an appointment for you, hence the call. If you do have CIN 3 (a colposcopy will confirm this) you will need treatment for the abnormal cells as they generally treat CIN 2 upwards. I had a procedure called LLETZ two years ago for a small area of CIN 2 and all smears since then have been normal.

I know many women who have been successfully treated for CIN 3, so please try not to worry. I know that is easier said than done but we have an excellent detection and treatment procedure for cervical abnormalities. flowers

Lemond1fficult Tue 14-Jun-16 18:46:25

Thanks onetired. That is very comforting to know.

I'm honestly wishing for Thursday like its my wedding day. Just need more information as my brain is being very unhelpful.

Flisspaps Tue 14-Jun-16 18:49:31

Yes, this level of efficiency is fairly normal with abnormal smears and colposcopies.

They're unpleasant but hopefully you'll have a lovely team like we have here. I've had treatment twice.

MildlyattractiveBetty Tue 14-Jun-16 18:54:04

I have had an LLETZ for cin3 and have been fine since flowers

Ask about the blood test for hpv strains too. It picks up the most aggressive strains which manifest themselves quickly. This means instead of a yearly call back I now go every 3 years as usual.

eurotrash Tue 14-Jun-16 18:59:45

I'm fine now thanks. From my smear it looked like CIN3 (it's a myth they can tell it's cancer from a smear!) and when I had the colposcopy they realised it was cancer. I had the treatment and since then, absolutely fine. That's was 18 months ago. Have regular check up but otherwise, fine! You'll be fine I'm sure and if not, you will still be ok, it's relatively easy to treat whether it's CIN or cancer.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 14-Jun-16 19:29:26

As OneTired says, the reason for the call is that it's CIN3 and therefore they want to see you as soon as possible to work out treatment.
Hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your holiday and that it gets resolved quickly and painlessly.

Lemond1fficult Tue 14-Jun-16 19:40:42

Thank you everyone for replying. I'll be re-reading them as required until it's over with.

You've made my heart feel much lighter. Wish I'd thought to ask you lovely MNers earlier.

Will come back and keep you posted after my appointment.

baldisbeautiful Tue 14-Jun-16 20:54:59

Back in 2011 I had CIN3 results from a smear. The colposcopy clinic telephoned me and gave me an appointment for a few days later. I was seen by the consultant, told it could not be dealt with there and then, and 3 days later I was in hospital for the day undergoing a GA to facilitate the removal of the dodgy cells. The hospital were fantastic, I was given the all clear by letter about a week later and thankfully all has been ok since then. Try not to worry, I am sure you will be really well looked after and it will all be fine. We are very lucky to have this sort of care and it could well have saved my life. All the best, let us know how you get on xx

Lemond1fficult Thu 16-Jun-16 14:26:54

Hi everyone. Here's my update as promised.

In short, it went well. Valium and cocodamol were very helpful at keeping me relaxed, which defo helped with the speculum. Other than that I barely felt a thing. The doctor and nurse team were very helpful, informative and chatty - they answered my long list of questions I took with me. This also took my mind off the biopsy procedure, which was relatively painless as they get you to cough at the same time as the needle goes In.

I apparently do have some pre-cancerous nasties for removal at a later date, but it sounds as if they don't suspect anything more sinister.

I feel so much better now I know what's what. But you all helped me a great deal when my imagination was running wild, and I can't thank you enough. winewinewine Wine for all!

OneTiredMummmyyy Thu 16-Jun-16 15:15:00

So pleased it went well for you smilegrinwinecakeflowers

The abnormal cell removal is nothing to worry about, loads of us on here have had it done. Xx

soggyweetabix Sun 19-Jun-16 16:17:19

Really glad I found this thread, as I had a letter through yesterday saying that I had severe ('high grade') dyskaryosis and I am now awaiting a colposcopy date. i'm really worried, as I have had what I now see as symptoms for a couple of years but at the time the nurse said that my discharge was 'probably hormone-related.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now