Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Experiences of tramodol

(21 Posts)
madasamarchhare Mon 13-Jun-16 16:14:24

Has anyone been prescribed tramadol and has it worked - been problem free? I've just been prescribed it for nerve pain (poss shingles) as the painkillers I've been on beginning with g (?) are not touching it. Reading info re tramodol seems serious side effects?

CMOTDibbler Mon 13-Jun-16 16:51:02

I haven't had any side effects at all from tramadol. I would say though that its not the greatest pain killer for nerve pain - the nerve pain drugs like gabapentin, pregbalin, and amitryptiline are all much better. They are not without their own side effects, and need getting used to (and careful titration up to effect dose), but if you can tolerate them its worth it.

PositiveAttitude Mon 13-Jun-16 16:54:36

Tramadol sends me totally doolally!! It certainly worked for my pain (not nerve pain), but I could not move off the sofa for 6 hours because I couldn't stand up safely.
When I had toothache a few months later I took it for that, but again, I just stayed on the sofa unable to move. It zonks me out totally!!!

GrimmauldPlace Mon 13-Jun-16 16:56:28

I'm the same as positive it helps the pain but probably in the same way gas and air helped me in labour, makes me feel so out of it that I don't notice the pain too much. I can only take tramadol if I know I don't have to leave the house and that there's another responsible adult there for the DC.

Patterkiller Mon 13-Jun-16 17:03:30

I needed to take a lower dose than prescribed as it made me shakey and felt a bit odd but I am quite small. Once I'd adjusted the dose it worked fine although I now take codiene as it works better overall for me.

ColintheCrow Mon 13-Jun-16 17:11:15

I find it fine. Took it for gallbladder pain and then for breaks. I know someone who passed out on it but I have a high tolerance to painkillers (hypermobile)

ChesterFuckingDraws Mon 13-Jun-16 17:19:48

I was prescribed tramadol for back pain, i will never take it again. I felt totally spaced out but unable to sleep (mind racing and jittery), very itchy skin, fast heart rate, unable to pass urine and vomiting.
I quickly stopped them (with my gps permission) and went back To codeine.

LineyReborn Mon 13-Jun-16 17:22:46

I think it's good. Take it with paracetamol for maximum effect.

But for as little time as possible. I wouldn't want to take it for more than five days.

ParsnipSoup Mon 13-Jun-16 17:23:07

First 2 doses I felt really spaced out, but after that I was completely fine on it.

Groovee Mon 13-Jun-16 17:23:07

It helps with the pain but makes me sleep for 4 hours.

SparklySandals Mon 13-Jun-16 17:26:17

I had it after my c section. Was still quite sore, but not sure how sore I would have been without it so I can't really tell how well it worked! Was a little light headed but definitely still functioning fine.

Some others I know who had it for a section found they were totally out of it and that it didn't do much for the pain.

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 13-Jun-16 17:29:44

Dh had a terrible time with tramadol. He was prescribed it after having his appendix out. It made him halucinate and gave him such severe constipation he was literally screaming in pain. It was horrid. He would never take it again.

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 13-Jun-16 17:32:23

Oh yes, I forgot the breathing difficulties. I had to lie next to him with his hand on my chest, feeling my breathing, to help him regulate his own breathing. It was surreal.

Roomba Mon 13-Jun-16 17:48:08

Funny how it can affect people so differently. I was prescribed it for back pain. No adverse side effects, but it also didn't seem to do anything much for the pain at all. Paracetamol had more effect for me.

I switched to codeine and that worked brilliantly at relieving my pain, it was like a miracle happened 15 minutes after I took it! But then it caused constipation, so not perfect.

GoneClubbing Mon 13-Jun-16 17:49:51

Made me completely spaced out too, I couldn't do anything.

bloodynoris Mon 13-Jun-16 17:57:02

I've been given it now after I had a knee op on Friday. It doesn't seem to be working for me but it is making me itchy and not being able to sleep. I had it ages ago as well and it used to give me bad nightmares it's one of drugs I prefer not to be on but at the moment I'm in so much pain I will take anything to try and get rid of pain.

inaclearingstandsaboxer Mon 13-Jun-16 18:01:20

I have taken lots of different painkillers over the years ( I broke my neck and needed spinal surgery a few years ago) and tbh I don't think the pain lessens, I am so stoned I don't give a shit!

I now take amitriptyline every night and that seems to do the job for my residual nerve pain

Gbean Mon 13-Jun-16 18:03:23

I had it when I broke my coccyx. I LOVED it. Was totally spaced out though

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 13-Jun-16 18:08:23

Made me super spacey , severe constipation- didn't go for 3 weeks! Also made me jump as I was falling asleep x10 before I finally dropped off.

I only took it for 3 weeks and I got hooked ,I sweating and climbing the walls like a heroin addict when I tried to stop. I had to come off really slowly over the course of a month.

Wouldn't be in a hurry to take them again tbh!

FurryDogMother Mon 13-Jun-16 18:29:30

I'm on 100mg of Tramadol a day (for shoulder pain) and have been for almost a year now. No issues at all, apart from when I stopped taking it for a few days due to taking other meds for the flu - and found myself in the middle of withdrawal - head 'zapping' feelings and general wooziness. I've talked to my doctor about that and she's advised me about how to reduce the dose gradually should I ever want to come off it, but to be honest, I feel absolutely fine, no spaced-outness, no weird dreams, no trouble sleeping or waking, no bowel issues in either direction, just feel as I always did, but without the shoulder pain.

I'm generally quite resistant to drugs of all sorts though (am a redhead, and it's not a myth that we need a bit more anasthesia than other colourings, I believe that applies to analgesics as well).

MountainDweller Mon 13-Jun-16 23:45:53

I took it for a while, was not bad for pain relief but had to move to something stronger. I took normal ones and slow release ones at different times. Felt a bit spacey on 200mg SR twice a day but 150mg was fine. They kept me awake though! I was prescribed a combination of meds for pain - an opiate (eg tramadol/morphine), something for nerve pain (pregabalin) and an anti inflammatory. It's often best to tackle pain from lots of different angles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now