Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How did you cope with recovery after hysterectomy?

(13 Posts)
juneau Sun 12-Jun-16 16:32:50

In the next 12 months I'm going to be having a sub-total hysterectomy with vaginal repair, thanks to birth injuries sustained when having my 2nd DC. I'm looking forward to having the medical issues resolved (and not having any more periods!), but I'm quite worried about how I'll cope with being off my feet for weeks when I have two school age DC and I'm a SAHM who usually does absolutely everything home-related. DH has a busy job and I don't anticipate him being able to take much (if any) time off.

So how did you cope? My DM will probably be able to come and stay for a week or two, but not for six weeks. Did you hire in help, or were you able to manage by yourself after a couple of weeks? I'm dreading not being able to drive, walk my DC to school, etc and wondering how the hell we're going to manage.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 12-Jun-16 16:39:49

I had a radical hysterectomy when my dses were 15 months and 3 years old.

Dh had 4 weeks off afterward, I couldn't lift either ds or do anything much really for the first couple of weeks. With them being so little I really wouldn't have coped without dh getting the time off.

It will be tough without support. Ypu can compromise your recovery if you do too much. I ended up having a prolapse operation a few years later and I'm sure it's because I did too much after my surgery. Still have prolapse issues but that's a whole other thread.....

cariadisnaehappy Sun 12-Jun-16 16:45:07

I had a sub total hysterectomy last October. Do you know if you'll be having it done via keyhole surgery? That's how they did mine and i was back at work after 3 weeks. The initial few days post surgery were sore but bearable - the painkillers they sent me home with helped! It was a far better recovery than I expected and life is so much better & pain free now.

juneau Sun 12-Jun-16 17:02:20

doyou My DC are 5 and 8 so thank goodness neither of them needs picking up any more! The surgery is mostly to correct prolapse so I definitely don't want to risk undoing the surgeon's work by doing too much too soon.

cariad I don't know whether it will be keyhole or not yet, but I'm hoping so and I can't see any reason why it couldn't be (no fibroids, etc). Your 3 weeks recovery sounds great though and if it was just that I'm sure I can manage between DH, DM and a few friends helping out. Your post has given me hope!

juneau Sun 12-Jun-16 17:16:12

cariad how long were you in hospital? I'm really hoping for a short stay!

cariadisnaehappy Sun 12-Jun-16 22:12:37

I was released from hospital the same day so about 6 hours after the op.
I was told that both keyhole and sub total mean you're more likely to recover quickly but I didn't expect it to be true. I was able to drive after 2 weeks! It honestly was the first couple of days that were the worst.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 13-Jun-16 03:15:43

Wow, same day is amazing!

Mine was abdominal and extensive surgery so I was in for 6 hellish days and off work 3 months. Partly that was for the emotional scars to heal and I have a high stress job.

I hope yours is much more straightforward thanks

20thCenturyGirl Mon 13-Jun-16 04:18:39

I had a laparascopic supracervical hysterectomy. I was discharged about three hours after surgery. The next day I was a little sore and really just lay around doing nothing. I was back to most regular daily activities within a week doing a little more every day. It probably helped that I was quite fit prior to surgery.
I spent an awful lot of time on the internet reading stories of recovery. The reality was less traumatic but I am sure everyone copes in very different ways.
Good luck! It was one of the best things I ever did.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jun-16 06:27:33

I had a radical abdominal hysterectomy and recovery was at least 6 weeks, I barely got out of bed for the first two weeks, after 4 weeks I could take short walks, then increased the distance gradually. I think I drove after about 8 weeks

A friend had keyhole surgery a week after me and was driving after about 3 weeks so it makes a huge difference depending on which op they do

juneau Mon 13-Jun-16 09:00:42

This is all very good info - thank you ladies. The hysterectomy I'm having sounds like the least invasive and serious, but I also have the vaginal surgery too so I suppose this is the less known quantity. However, the thought of being able to drive after 2-3 weeks is heartening. I thought I'd be banned for six weeks with no exception, so your tales of much quicker recoveries are very encouraging. I'm going to call the doctor this week to make an appointment with the surgeon as I feel things are getting worse and I'd like to get on with it.

crazycatladyonthecorner Tue 14-Jun-16 08:36:14

Had a vaginal hysterectomy 5 days ago. Although still tender and being careful I feel great. As it is the least invasive surgery I was told I could do all my normal things after 3 or 4 days, obviously no heavy lifting or straining. I'm listening to my body, do a little, rest a little.....

clogher Tue 14-Jun-16 08:50:33

I am 5 weeks after a total abdominal hysterectomy. Previously I had cysts and endo removal by keyhole. There is no comparison in the recovery the less invasive is easier but is still a hefty procedure.

All you can do is prepare. Batch cook Chili's, bologna is, stews etc. Stock up on microwave rice and anything else like that that you and family eat. You will be glad you did when you or your DH cannot face cooking.

Post op, you will most likely have constipation issues from drugs etc. I made lots of veg heavy soups with some protein added (beans or ham or chicken) and had a big bowl of this every day- I literally filled a big freezer drawer with portions of soup. This made a huge difference.

Ignore the mess around the edges in the house - you cannot be too careful.

Consider whether there is any food for DCs that you can freeze.

I am not allowed drive for 8 weeks but your op sounds different so hopefully you will be faster.

Post op, spatone is good and simple paracetamol is easier on the digestive system than some other pain killers but pace yourself and take all the help you can get

juneau Wed 15-Jun-16 17:01:40

Thanks again. I suffer with constipation anyway, thanks to IBS, so that's great advice clogher. I'll make plenty of lentil and vegetable soup in preparation! If my DM comes to help me the first week she's a great cook too, so I should be okay on that front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now