Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Total hysterectomy pre meno - reasons to be cheerful

(31 Posts)
ipsoblamange Sat 11-Jun-16 23:33:46

This is happening to me quite soon, I am pre menopausal.
I am lucky I have the best medical advice and that I need it is not in doubt. I am losing ovaries, tubes, womb and cervix. I have already had a double mastectomy, sometimes I feel I am living in nightmare but I have decided the best way to cope is to look at the positives.

If you have had this or similar please tell me the positives and what helped you to cope. I am burying my head in the sand so please don't tell me that bad stuff. My list to date:

No more periods
No more sanitary ware
No more debilitating, flooding periods
No more anaemia
No more contraception
Maybe no more spots?
Less worry about recurrence of the cancer
No need to ovaries to be screened

Bombaybunty Sat 11-Jun-16 23:45:01

No more trying to work out if your period is due when you're away. Cuts out the risk of embarrassing flooding in someone else's bed.
No more feeling absolutely crap once a month.

hunibuni Sat 11-Jun-16 23:48:24

No more smear tests! I've had everything except my ovaries removed because of dysmenorrhea, best thing I ever had done.

ipsoblamange Sun 12-Jun-16 00:18:33

Mini break in hospital no cleaning or cookinggrin

ipsoblamange Sun 12-Jun-16 00:19:45

How bad is no hormones? I'm not allowed hrt

ipsoblamange Sun 12-Jun-16 00:20:02

What will help

f1fan2015 Sun 12-Jun-16 00:47:31

I had a full hysterectomy in June last year and have not had HRT. I am 46, and apart from the lack of bleeding and my emotions settling down, I can honestly say I have not noticed any other changes

ipsoblamange Sun 12-Jun-16 08:12:27

F1fan that's reassuring. What happened to your emotions and how long did it take to settle?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 12-Jun-16 08:25:56

I still get spotssad

I also had to have smear tests twice a year for a few years but that was because my surgery was due to cervical cancer. Hopefully no more smears for you!

I hope your surgery goes ok opthanks No more periods is a definite positive. It's very liberating not to have to think about dates and stuff anymore.

Don't be surprised if your emotions are all over the place afterward. It hit me very hard when I had mine done, much harder than I expected. If that happens, do seek support.

ipsoblamange Sun 12-Jun-16 16:00:51

OK thanks. What support helped? I will not be Able to have hrt so it will be ads or talking or I might try acupuncture its the no hormones that does slightly worry me. After my mastectomy I was v grumpy but I had the hormones sad but this time I will not....

megletthesecond Sun 12-Jun-16 16:04:58

Recovery will be easier at your age. I had a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix, dodgy smear test results) at 35 and was relieved I wasn't doing it in my 60's.

f1fan2015 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:54:04

I had always been emotional around the time of my period. My OH is relieved he no longer needs to tread carefully grin I am relieved too!

I was dealing with the hysterectomy as part of my cancer returning but I was on holiday within 3 weeks of leaving hospital and my emotions had settled by then.

Good luck!

tobee Mon 13-Jun-16 01:21:28

I had subtotal hysterectomy (kept cervix as well as the ovaries) but it is just completely brilliant not having periods. Especially with summer coming up. I can go on long journeys, walks, out for the evening etc. without worrying that, even though I'm wearing what feels like a pillow, I will be panicking I'm flooding everywhere and that yes I am. And I can laugh within fear. I can wear summer dresses, flimsy shorts and, wow, even white. I'm not terrifying mine teen son as he thinks I'm about to pass out, quickly having to pay the bill in a restaurant and rush home to completely change clothes, bath etc.

I have to stop myself going on. The only downside for me so far, I'm a pro hysterectomy bore!

And yes, good luck.

tobee Mon 13-Jun-16 01:22:50

*laugh without fear

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 13-Jun-16 03:12:25

Looking back after my surgery ipso I wish I'd booked up some counselling, I really needed it!

I think it affects everyone differently though. I had 5 weeks between cancer diagnosis and surgery, within which period my mil died, so it was only after the surgery I had time to process the diagnosis and no more children bit. I had no symptoms and not an inkling anything was wrong so it came as a huge shock.

It took me a couple of years really before I felt like 'me' again. Feel great now 11 years post op.

Hope yours goes well thanks MN is a great source of support as well, there's always someone to 'listen'

20thCenturyGirl Mon 13-Jun-16 04:11:09

All the above plus not having sleepless nights getting up every hour or less to change sanitary protection.
Being able to spontaneously book nights away without spending hours trying to work out if my period will be due.

It was the best decision I ever made. Good luck.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jun-16 06:32:35

Best decision for me too - I had fibroids, extremely painful, heavy periods and only a few days a month I wasn't expecting, having or recovering from a period. No cervix is brilliant - no more smear tests. I haven't had hrt and have been fine, a bit emotional/ragey sometimes but not bad enough to consider it

honeysucklejasmine Mon 13-Jun-16 06:42:30

Sorry OP can I derail? I am considering this in the future, after DC#2. But I am worried about the finality of having it all whipped out when I could still have children if I wanted. How did people cope with that?

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jun-16 06:49:05

I don't have and didn't want children so that wasn't an issue for me - I was also late 40s. For me it was all neither useful nor ornamental so being told I needed a hysterectomy was pure relief and celebration

228agreenend Mon 13-Jun-16 06:51:47

I'm also considering one as a preventative measure due to increased womb cancer risks. Even though I'm on the wrong side of 45 (so not considering more children etc), also feel a little nervous.

The mini break comment made me laugh. I've had a couple of hysteroscopies under general, and always enjoyed the post op time when I've sat in fed, undisturbed and read a good (usually trashy) book!

A couple of people have mentioned feeling emotional. How? Why?

daydreamnation Mon 13-Jun-16 07:01:10

I had a full hysterectomy last year at 42, I also love having no periods but be kind to yourself and ignore the folk who 'know someone who was back at work/rock climbing 6 weeks later' grinIts a major op but as others have said, your age is an advantage, I bounced back fairly quickly and a year on I feel great.

Lweji Mon 13-Jun-16 07:11:21

I'm on a beach weekend break and on my period. I'd be happy never to have one.

A friend has had one a couple od years ago and she seems fine. She's not complaining about anything physical, just of her H.

I hope all goes well with the operation.

Deadnettle Mon 13-Jun-16 09:19:06

I'm having a sub total hysterectomy (keeping ovaries) a week today shock I'm 31 and nowhere near menopause.

I'm looking forward to not having periods, not feeling so ill all the time and not having to plan things around them. Most of all I am looking forward to having a life!

daydreamnation Mon 13-Jun-16 10:13:51

Any of you that are about to have the op do ask me any questions! I had some amazing support on here before I had mine last year.

Trufflethewuffle Mon 13-Jun-16 13:36:36

I had a full one done three years ago last Christmas. I was 50 but no real menopause symptoms. I had fibroids and heavy bleeding as a result.
I tried the mirena coil for 9 months prior to that and it didn't work out for me so went for the hysterectomy option.

Overall, a great decision, just a couple of things which are now sorted.
Firstly, mine was done through the vagina and using keyhole techniques. Afterwards, surgeon said with hindsight there was a lot of scarring from a c section 10 years earlier and it would have been easier/better to have been fully opened. The cauterisation which takes place in keyhole surgery apparently means that the edges don't heal back together as quickly as cut tissue as there is a sort of dead edge on the affected areas. This was given as the reason that post op bleeding went on for longer than was expected.

I was initially advised that, due to my age, I wouldn't need HRT. I did find that symptoms built up over the six months after my op. I then took low dose HRT for a while, then cut the dose down gradually over the next year or so.

Now, over three years later, I look back and see it as one of my best decisions for all the reasons given by previous posters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now