Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weak ankles- any physios/fellow sufferers out there please

(6 Posts)
anklecankle Sat 11-Jun-16 22:31:28

Has anyone ever managed to resolve the issue of weak ankles? I'm in a vicious circle at the moment and can't get out of it.

Very briefly - I hurt my ankle (turned over nastily) about 15 years ago and it has been weak ever since.

I've had an MRI, x-rays and physio - it can be dormant for years but when it goes my ankles are very, very weak and I struggle to walk - swelling, bruising and awful limp (that means my whole body is misaligned and then impacts on hips, back etc)

I have had physio and have been given exercise programme to strengthen the muscles - yet within a fortnight of every time I start these exercises my ankle buckles and I am back to square one - resting, raising, ice etc.. It then starts again as I'm told that I need to strengthen the muscles to prevent it happening again - but as above they buckle (only word I can think to describe it) and I'm back in this vicious circle!

I have had several referrals from doctor to physiotherapist but now I have "used up" my recommended sessions. I would struggle to pay for private sessions so am wondering if anyone has ever broken (probably wrong term!) this cycle? I've looked online and the exercises up there are exactly what I'm doing (but are failing to help).

Any advice would be really helpful - thanks

BluePitchFork Sat 11-Jun-16 22:36:42

I did years ago.
got loads of excercises from physio which I kept up, but the biggest thing was changing footwear.
no flip flops, no ballet flats, always supportive shoes preferably with shaped insoles.

anklecankle Sun 12-Jun-16 08:55:30

Thanks BluePitchFork - I did find they were worse after wearing converse - so have knocked those on the head now and have a range of supportive shoes. Do you find boots help?

AwkwardSquad Sun 12-Jun-16 14:01:18

I've had weak ankles for many years and am finally getting physio, which is helping although I need to be more disciplined with the exercises. But proper footwear makes a massive difference, as BluePitchFork says. Can't wear heels, obviously, but shouldn't wear completely flat shoes either, and I have to make sure they fit properly - no shifting of foot in the shoe, as that'll have me over. Most of my shoes are lace ups and ankle boots are best, I find, or properly fitted trainers.

I do miss sandals, though sad

AwkwardSquad Sun 12-Jun-16 14:04:15

I wonde if you would benefit from ankle strapping or supports? I don't know much about it, I just saw some on line when looking for advice last time I did my ankle in, but a physio might be able to advise?

anklecankle Sun 12-Jun-16 17:26:02

Thanks AwkwardSquad - I think I'll try lace-ups as well. Not something I wear often. Both ankles are currently strapped up and I am starting to get nervous about starting physio again - as they always go! It is a vicious circle but I know I have to keep at it. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now