Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any advise welcome! Always poorly :-(

(15 Posts)
MrsNeonTiger Sat 11-Jun-16 19:45:42

Hi everyone! I'm just after a bit of advise/suggestions on what or why I seem to constantly be poorly. I'm a (supposedly!) healthy 35 year old women with 2 healthy children and have a reasonably healthily diet and take regular exercise pretty much daily (walking 2 dogs, cycling and riding/mucking out horse) BUT for the past 6/7 months I have been knocked sideways with ill health. It has got to the point now that I am Ill for more than half of a month every month (if that makes sense!) For example, chest infections, UTI, sinusitis, tonsillitis (these all requiring AB's) and then the things I've shook off on my own, like sickness/diarrhoea bugs and general colds. Previous to this all starting off 6/7 months ago I was very healthy and caught the occasional virus/bug throughout the year but that's all. I had a blood test for Glandular fever around 3 months ago and all they said was it was back normal. Any advise on what it could be or what I can do is much appreciated! Just to add, I take multi vits and drink lots of fluids daily too and not stressed at all (v laid back person in general and have a good support network of need break!) Thanks in advance!

NicknameUsed Sat 11-Jun-16 19:59:12

I went through a period of having one infection after another. The GP decided that I needed to be tested for diabetes. Thankfully I don't have it, but perhaps you need a blood test to rule this and other medical problems out.

MrsNeonTiger Sat 11-Jun-16 20:10:14

Thanks for your advise NIckname. I have a GP appt booked in for next week so I will mention that. Can I ask, if you don't mind! What was the outcome for you if it wasn't diabetes? Was it just a run of bad luck in the end or did you change anything/take anything to get back on track? I feel like it's really getting in the way of life now and I'm becoming quite dragged down by it all!

Timeforabiscuit Sat 11-Jun-16 20:13:15

Have you had any particularly nasty viruses? These can take a while to shake especially if you dont properly rest and recuperate.

Have you had any enforced bed rest or soldiered on?

NicknameUsed Sat 11-Jun-16 20:19:09

It was just one of those things. I'm fine now.

annandale Sat 11-Jun-16 20:23:17

You sound run down - possibly you're on a vicious circle of infection, antibiotics, immune system down because of the antibiotics, etc.

Also how old are your children, did they change schools last Sept with a lot of new bugs?

You're very busy and I know you have a healthy diet but I would ask the doctor whether they think something like a B vitamin might help -tbh I don't think there is much evidence for any supplements but I personally find if get run down that really bumping up the b vitamins in my diet helps, so lots of wholemeal, spinach, eggs.

MrsNeonTiger Sat 11-Jun-16 20:28:48

Hi Timefor, I had a very nasty chest infection in December last year which took 2 lots of AB's to shift and left me weak for a good month afterwards. But I had days in bed to recuperate for that. Each time I get a particularly nasty infection (req ABs) I am lucky enough to have a supportive husband to take the reins and also 2 and a half days a week to myself without the children (school/nursery) so I don't feel like I'm overdoing it particularly ..?

MrsNeonTiger Sat 11-Jun-16 20:36:28

Nickname-I hope that will be the case for me too! And annadale, that sounds like a very likely cause when you put it like that! Maybe I am trapped in some kind of cycle from infection to treatment to infection again! Does seem that way at times! I will go to GP and ask about the likelihood of b vitamin deficiency. Is there at test for that? (Sorry if dumb question!) And yes I will try adding more of those foods to my diet and see if that helps. I'm willing to try anything! Thanks for advise all

MrsNeonTiger Sat 11-Jun-16 20:38:21

Forgot to say, my children are 5 and 3. The 3 yr old started nursery last sept!

Ankleswingers Sat 11-Jun-16 20:47:15

Sounds like you've been having a tough time of it OP.

My recommendation would be to try a probiotic. I swear by them. I use optibac probiotics ( google them) and I buy the one for daily immunity with added vitamin C.

Really hope that you start to feel better soon.

MrsNeonTiger Sat 11-Jun-16 20:53:15

Thanks Ankles! Will get onto google now!

Ankleswingers Sat 11-Jun-16 20:55:05

Good luck! smile

MidMay Sat 11-Jun-16 21:07:51

GP not likely to test for b vitamin deficiency unless abnormal markers on full blood count. Symptoms don't sound like a deficiency as usually neuro type symptoms present and breathing difficulties/weakness.

Abx can affect our immune systems negatively too. I'd ask GP to check things like thyroid function, CRP (inflammatory markers) and another FBC to check nothing blood related going on.

Given DCs ages it might just be a bad patch healthwise but if it's only you affected it's wise to get it checked out.

MrsNeonTiger Sat 11-Jun-16 21:25:19

All good advise, thanks midmay. Lots to research and ask GP. Just hope they will do some sort of further testing. It is usually only me that gets Ill or at least the worst affected !

mayhew Mon 13-Jun-16 19:35:54

Low vit D can reduce immunity. A blood test will check. My husband had his done after similar health problems. He now takes 5000iu a day and is much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now