Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

thyroid fine needle aspiration - how does it feel?

(7 Posts)
TopazRocks Sat 11-Jun-16 17:49:31

Trying to find out HOW it feels when this is done. For teenage DS who is on autistic spectrum. I have lots of info on procedure, and whys and so forth.

TopazRocks Sat 11-Jun-16 17:53:52

Grand, it posted! I did a much longer new thread last night and it failed to send.

Stuff I'd like to prepare him for includes - does it hurt? Is there any feeling of pressure or choking? how long does he lie down afterwards etc? How long does it take? And how long for results? (that is something I can ask doctor, i know)

choppolata Sat 11-Jun-16 18:07:19

Hi, I have had several of these. It doesn't hurt but does feel a bit weird. Not choking though and it's over quickly. Don't recall having to lie down for long afterwards, a minute or two? Results for mine were fast as they were worried about my tumour. 9 years later I'm happily thyroidless!

amarmai Sat 11-Jun-16 18:10:03

Had it twice and felt nothing .Still have my thyroid although been offered removal twice. Am glad I refused.

TopazRocks Sat 11-Jun-16 23:39:27

Thanks, both of you. I think I am more bothered than he is. He's needed some dental work recently and there was an almighty fuss over the needles! I am more worried about the 'what ifs' too. So far they are as sure as they can be it's just inflammatory activity - due to Hashi's - but the goitre is still very big even after treatment, and he might need surgery. We'll know more next week. He is very young( and male!) to be having thyroid problems.

MyLlamasGoneBananas Sun 12-Jun-16 00:34:56

I'm the queen of these.

I have had this done so many times.

It's not painful but odd feeling. You can kind of feel a pressure but not suffocating or even enough to make you feel you can't breathe. Sometimes they have to stick it in more than once and adjust the angle to get what they need. I reckon a larger goitre/lump is less fiddly and more straightforward. I had a large mass on one side which was really quick and easy compared to my second mass that was small.
I felt fine afterwards although I did have a stiff neck a few times but this is more down to me tensing up my neck muscles than the aftermath of the procedure. I took ibuprofen or paracetamol an hour before the last couple of time's to help eradicate/ease this but that was probably a bit overkill to be honest.

I've had 2 hemi thyroidectomies. The second a few weeks back which was completion. Also had parathyroid and lymph nodes out too due to cancer.
Both ops nowhere near as awful as you may think. I think the most shocking aspect was the metal staples across my throat. It took my breath away the first time I saw it. No one had prepared me for that and that was the most scary/horrible moment for me that stands out.

Please feel free to ask away if you have more questions.

choppolata Sun 12-Jun-16 23:02:21

Unlike dental work he won't be actually able to see the needle, so that might help! Hope it goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now