Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

visual disturbances ,jerking spasms ,feeling of micro loss of consciouness ,what is this ?

(6 Posts)
gingeroots Sat 11-Jun-16 11:45:58

Thought I'd start a new thread so as not to hijack a similar one .

I've had surgery for cancer and have a shortened digestive system. Since the surgery I've had a number of episodes which I really struggle to describe .They start with visual disturbance -at first just a fuzzy ,unable to focus properly sensation but quickly progresses to what feels like either flashing ( sort of like an overwhelming bright light flasing into alternating eyes ) or my focus suddenly zooming in out .

Then I get what feels like massive muscle jerking and a weird feeling of everything shifting around me and a sort of miniscule absence for a nano second which makes me call out/grunt as I come back .But I've never fallen down ( I sit down ) or lost consciousness .

I don't have any pain .

And I've had one episode of a shape with rainbow zigzags round it moving across my vision .

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on ?

I'm struggling to get the clinic I attend for follow up since the surgery or my GP to understand or take me seriously ,they say "oh ,so you feel weak and a bit dizzy " . They have finally written to my GP the GP requesting he refer me to a neurologist ) but when I went to see him and tried to give him the background simply said "I don't know what you're here for ."

So who knows if I'll be referred .I know I have to get back on to the surgery to check this but I need to recover from my last encounter with the GP .I have,like many people , a rather overdeveloped sense of "not wanting to make a fuss "and the reactions I'm getting make me think I am .I'm so reluctant to put myself in the way of another brush off .

NoahVale Sat 11-Jun-16 11:48:48

well, they sound like absences,
can you get blood tests at least?

NoahVale Sat 11-Jun-16 11:49:51

can you write down your symptoms for your GP, or even write to your GP if you prefer?
or go to an opticians?

NoahVale Sat 11-Jun-16 11:50:54

is your blood pressure ok?

gingeroots Sat 11-Jun-16 12:03:34

Thanks - the clinic I attend does blood tests ,not that I ever see the results .( I know ,I should ask for them .) I've seen an optician .
No idea about BP .

The GP has a letter from the clinic following my recent visit where I was trying really hard to describe the symptoms ( for the umpteeth time ) and this does ,sort of ,describe them to him .I was trying to give him the background ,symptoms etc when he said "I don't know what you're here for "

I don't know if he'd read the letter ,or an earlier one . I'm afraid I was so shocked by his tone ( exsaperated ) that I stood up and said 'Well ,I'd better go then ,I've tried my best and if you still don't understand there's no point "

Childish ,petulent etc I know .

MidMay Sat 11-Jun-16 22:08:23

GP behaviour is unprofessional. Can you see alternative GP? If not perhaps speak to practice manager. Imo you need a neuro referral - can take 3-4 months to get appt on NHS though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now