Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone medical around, I need calming, sorry long

(10 Posts)
BeJayKayven Thu 09-Jun-16 19:43:32

For about 6 weeks I've had 2 lumps like swollen glands under my jawline at neck. Eventually I went to the dr yesterday, she took bloods and felt round my neck, said she suspected it's been a reaction to an infection and to call in 7 days for results.
Today I get a call from her to say the ESR test was a bit high and it's to be retested next week, if the swelling gets worse to get an emergency appt.
I made the mistake of googling 😦and of course all the worst case scenarios are there. So I need someone sensible to tell me to stop panicking

BeJayKayven Thu 09-Jun-16 21:07:23

Anyone please?

LotsofDots Thu 09-Jun-16 21:13:50

Stop panicking. The vast majority of swollen glands are due to local infection. ESR is elevated when there is infection too.

TamaraHiddlestoned Thu 09-Jun-16 21:13:54

Calm down, unless the swelling is worse in which case do what she says
Your GP sounds very thorough. If there was a proper, serious risk here, she would have followed up urgently.
Please don't worry, try to relax- do something you enjoy & go to bed for a good night's sleep.

LotsofDots Thu 09-Jun-16 21:15:08

They can stay swollen for months. They might refer for an US. They are still probably just reactive. Most of them are.

smile

BeJayKayven Thu 09-Jun-16 21:50:43

Thanks so much, I needed some grounding sensible words flowers

TamaraHiddlestoned Fri 10-Jun-16 07:22:25

Morning BeJay did you sleep well last night?
Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

BeJayKayven Fri 10-Jun-16 11:28:01

Thank you for asking xx

I'm such a panic merchant, and stupid to have googled blush

I have a telephone consultation booked for next Wednesday just to chat about it to the dr, and follow up blood test for the following Tuesday.

TamaraHiddlestoned Fri 10-Jun-16 14:50:51

You've taken a positive, practical step - well done!
Enjoy the weekend & don't google anything else wink

NanaNina Sat 11-Jun-16 01:32:28

Best advice I can give is stay away from Dr Google - he is NOT your friend. I used to do it but I weaned myself off - the old family doctor books (I'm old enough to remember them) there used be a short para on ailments, bloody google takes us from the first symptom to choosing the hymn for our funeral!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now