Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraceptive implant? Thoughts?

(10 Posts)
lill72 Thu 09-Jun-16 14:56:54

I tried to have a coil fitted and without pretty much any pain relief it was ridiculously painful. I am not even attempting again with pain killers.

Sooooooo...... the contraceptive implant seems a good option.

However - wondering if you suffered badly with acne as a teenager, would the acne come back as a side effect? any experiences with this?

I also don't like the moody side effect!!! I am moody enough already!!

ReginaTheVelociraptor Thu 09-Jun-16 14:59:10

I've had mine in for almost three years and it's due to be taken out soon. I love it and would have another in an instant. I haven't suffered with any recurring acne apart from the occasional chin spot when I'm due on. I've not suffered any moodiness either (not more than usual). I get a period every 2-3 months now but for two years I had no periods at all. I highly recommend it.

Minime85 Thu 09-Jun-16 21:19:49

Sorry it was hellish for me. I too had same coil issues and had implant. I was so moody, forgot things I mean serious things about driving the car! And had thrush like even the doctor couldn't believe. Had it removed after a year and all these things went.

Think it's individual so you'd have to try it to see if worked for you

MatthewWrightResearch Thu 09-Jun-16 21:22:55

Mine's is due out Jan 17, I've had no issue's and no bad side effects. Since it was put in I've not bled once either, I'm definitely going to get another put in when my one the now is due out.

lill72 Fri 10-Jun-16 21:28:48

Thanks everyone. Hard to know until you try it seems. Hmmmm, thinking and reading...

Slothlikesundays Fri 10-Jun-16 21:41:17

Bled constantly for 8 months, couldn't get anyone to take it out. Finally got it out when i cried and threatened to cut it out myself. Would never have again! Had the coil though which was perfect.

MyBreadIsEggy Fri 10-Jun-16 21:46:54

Best contraception I have ever used! Will definitely be getting another one put in after DC2 arrives in Npvember.
I had awful acne before I had it put in, and while it didn't completely clear my skin, the amount of spots I got drastically reduced, and they usually only appeared around the time I would usually get my period. I never actually got my period thpugh! Not a single one while I had my first implant in, which was great! I had that removed, when DH and I started ttc, and I fell pregnant within our first month of trying.
Had a second implant put in after DD was born, and that time I had some initially bleeding, but that settled down in a couple of weeks, and then I never had a period after that. Had that one removed in mid-January this year, and we've worked out that I fell pregnant again over Valentines weekend!
I love them. Once it's in, it's in, and you don't need to worry about contraception for 3 years (as long as your only having sex with the one person obviously hmm)

LittleLionHeart Fri 10-Jun-16 22:12:28

Just got my third. Love love love it!

HippyPottyMouth Fri 10-Jun-16 22:23:57

I'm on my 4th. No spots beyond the odd one when I'm due on. No impact on weight, I was a stable size 8-10 through the first 2 and am stable at 12-14 now I do less exercise and eat more crap. Had the third one out to TTC and was pregnant within a fortnight. The only downside for me is completely unpredictable periods, but the silver lining is that when they do come, they're light and pain-free.

Mincepies76 Sat 11-Jun-16 08:48:15

Bled continuously until I got it taken out, was the same with the copper coil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now