Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anal skin tags...

(11 Posts)
Buzzybee3 Wed 08-Jun-16 11:04:00

Hi, so after 2 babies I have 3 anal skin tags left over from bad haemmoroids during my last pregnancy. My youngest is now 8, so I've been putting this off for a while. I am on the waiting list for surgery, but I've been looking on the Internet and read some horror stories, so wondered if anyone has had this operation, how long was the recovery? Are you glad you had it done or do you wish you'd left it? Does it look 'normal' now? Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks

Drinksforeveryone Wed 08-Jun-16 19:20:54

I had it done a couple of years ago. WAs soooo worth it.

I first visited the gp as had a fissure - hence bleeding and a lot of pain. So I ended up being referred to hospital to check it out.

After a sigmoidoscopy and a few people having a look -I was referred to have the tags removed as a day surgery patient. It was all fine. The first day or two (or three) after the op I was in a quite a bit of pain . Going to the toilet was a trial - but I managed it.

The surgeon didn't remove all the tags - so at my post op check the nurse practitioner referred me straight back in for them removing too. This time round the after pains were far less. I was back to my usual exercise regime within 3 days.

So - it can be painful immediately after - but I am very, very pleased that I had it done. I now make every effort to NOT get constipated (piles).

Buzzybee3 Wed 08-Jun-16 21:54:36

Thank you, that is good to hear. I've been worried, so it's nice to know it's not so bad. Thanks for your reply.

NecklessMumster Wed 08-Jun-16 21:59:43

I've got them and gp has seen them when he checked piles a few years ago but no one has ever suggested I had them removed, is there a medical reason or is it for cosmetic reasons?

getlostdailyfail Wed 08-Jun-16 22:15:06

I've got them too and had them since quite young, didn't know there was a need for them to be removed?

Drinksforeveryone Thu 09-Jun-16 10:26:38

It depends on how bad/how many there are - and if it affects your daily life.

I actually hadn't considered asking for them removing - it was picked up when I visited the GP re the fissure/pain etc and was asked if I wanted them taking off. There were a quite a few, but I didn't really look at my bum that often. grin It's certainly much easier to wipe after the loo now.

eatmytoes888 Thu 09-Jun-16 20:15:16

I had an operation on mine. Very easy. Surgeon cut it off and left it to heal in its own time. Apart from some initial, mild pain, it's been a good decision. The pain before hand was terrible and now I am healed with no pain. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It's a bit embarrassing though blush

eatmytoes888 Thu 09-Jun-16 20:15:41

It was a skin tag and an anal fissure.

Minime85 Thu 09-Jun-16 21:15:48

Yes have it done. I too read horror stories but had some great advice on here. I went ahead with surgery. I had one very large one. General anaesthetic day surgery. I was very nervous as never had anaesthetic before. All went well and recovery was better than I thought. I was given lactolose and pain killers and some cream to use. Make sure keep lactolose up to keep stools soft. Can't recommend highly enough a sitz bath. Got mine off amazon. Bathed after each bowel movement with a drop of liquid savlon in there. Get plenty of gauze in as I bleed for a week or so afterwards. I had two weeks off work. Looks so much better and so so much more comfortable.

Buzzybee3 Sun 12-Jun-16 20:06:33

Thank you for all the replies, it is reassuring to hear it all went well. smile

Lilyanna79 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:06:03

Hi BuzzyBee, Im interested to know if you went ahead with the surgery. Im thinking of having 2 anal skin tags removed that i've had since my mid twenties (and I dont even have kids!). Like you and others read the horror stories but those on here seem more positive and gentle with it...
Would love to know if you went ahead and how it was for you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now