Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Headache and nausea while ovulating and during period

(7 Posts)
WerewolvesNotSwearwolves Tue 07-Jun-16 21:06:06

For the last three cycles I've been getting headaches and nausea during ovulation, and this cycle it's happening during my period too (period started today). It's never been like this before. I'm not on any hormonal contraception and haven't been for a long time, as I didn't get on with them. I had a baby a year ago, and my periods started up again when he was five weeks old, even though I was breastfeeding (still am once or twice a day). Painkillers don't really touch it and I don't want to be on them all the time anyway. Any ideas?

ShiftyFades Tue 07-Jun-16 21:27:39

Mine have been bad recently too, I was very dizzy with the last one - gp thinks I had gastroenteritis - I was close to passing out.

I'd keep an eye out, note your symptoms and go to GP if it continues.

WerewolvesNotSwearwolves Wed 08-Jun-16 18:16:48

I get dizzy too shifty, not too badly though. How are you now?

bluecashmere Wed 08-Jun-16 23:09:18

I also have nausea and headaches most months on the first day of my period. Never had any problems until my periods started again after ds was born. Can't be sure if it was the pregnancy or just my age that's caused it. I find strong painkillers help and there are some designed for migraines but I can't remember what the active ingredient is called. Worth speaking to the GP if you're getting it with ovulation and period but there are definitely changes to your diet you can make to avoid them. Worth googling if you want an alternative to medication.

ShiftyFades Thu 09-Jun-16 15:31:23

I'm ok now but I lost 3 revision days for my accountancy exams so I'm very worried.

I'm going to see how I am for the next few and maybe go to the doctor, I'm sure they will say it's my time of life....

WerewolvesNotSwearwolves Thu 09-Jun-16 19:37:57

Me too. I was hoping I'd get a few more years though!

blue I've noticed caffeine makes it worse so I've cut that out on those days.

TweenageAngst Thu 09-Jun-16 19:56:31

Google menstrual migraine, I have had them for years, they suck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now