Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Perimenopause at 39?

(8 Posts)
SallyMischievo Sun 05-Jun-16 09:15:39

I am almost 40, no period for almost two years whilst pregnant and breastfeeding DD. Had thyroid function tested in this time as have been having revolting night sweats since DD was born but results were normal. I stopped feeding three months ago and have since had four periods. My cycle length has become even shorter than before I got pregnant, (it has gone from 24-25 days to 20-21 days). PMT is far worse plus ongoing night sweats. I am becoming increasingly anxious that I am now in perimenopause and will not be able to try for a sibling for DD. Has anyone had experience of this? What do I need to ask my GP for in terms of tests that could confirm or rule out perimenopause? Many thanks for any advice.

digerd Sun 05-Jun-16 17:26:56

There is a hormone test FSH - follicular stimulating hormone you could ask your GP about.
My periods became short at 39 when I stopped the contraceptive pill but I was 48 before my night sweats began and was having short/light periods right up to 52.

Good luck with TTC again.

pinkstarsarefalling Sun 05-Jun-16 17:43:10

It could be the bf and you are still adjusting post giving up.

I used to have 24 day periods. I've bf for 3.5 years, they came back at 2 and have been crazy all over the place, but also a bit shorter at times. One was even 18 days! They've roughly returned to 24/25 days and I'm pretty sure I'm ovulating.

I have thyroid issue; it could be worth double checking again, but it could still be your hormones settling after bf.

Are you tracking in any way? Mucus etc? Temp? Do you think you're ovulating? I know a number of long term bf ers, and periods are weird but most of them also seem to have had no issues conceiving again.

No harm double checking at the GP regarding peri, but it probably just needs a bit more time to settle down.

PollyPerky Sun 05-Jun-16 18:04:40

It's not unheard of to be peri meno at almost 40, but it is early.
Have a look at the Daisy network site which is a charity that supports and informs women with prem /early meno. Daisy Network

Shorter cycles in themselves are not always an indication but if you have other meno symptoms them yes, it could be that.

Your GP ought to offer you and FSH and oestrodiol tests but these are not always that accurate - make sure they are done at the correct time of a month and repeated. This info is on Daisy, btw.

Being peri doesn't mean you can't conceive, (there are a number of pregnancies every year in women aged 50+ who thought they were post meno) but obviously time is running out at 40 so you'd need to get a move on anyway.

Good luck.

SallyMischievo Sun 05-Jun-16 21:18:11

Thank you for your kind responses ladies and for the link to the Daisy Network website, Polly. We haven't started TTC yet but we know that time is of the essence! I will ask my GP to refer me for blood tests and see what comes back. Many thanks again.

user1466192861 Fri 17-Jun-16 22:08:07

Hi,

I'm new to mumsnet, but I've heard great things so here goes.
I'm 47 and never had children, periods have always been regular as clockwork. Then in February they stopped. Had a very short light one in May (2days) and now having one in June which seems to be lasting nearly 2 weeks! Very worried that something is wrong...

StillMedusa Fri 17-Jun-16 23:08:23

User.. on another thread you say you have three children ?!

mrsclooneytoyou Fri 17-Jun-16 23:20:11

I started menopause at 36. Gp ran loads of tests several times to check the results.
I would advice you talk to gp and ask for all tests to put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now