Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stiffness in hands and forearms after viral infection? Please help!

(6 Posts)
marushka82 Sat 04-Jun-16 21:13:26

I posted this in chat but I thought I'd try here, maybe someone experienced similar?

I've had one of those viral infections: fever and achy muscles and a bit of nausea and loss of appetite since Tuesday evening, all fever and other symptoms gone now and I've been feeling better overall since yesterday but I now have stiff (arthritis like?) feeling in my forearms and wrists/fingers. Hurts a bit when I'm trying to lift something and I just feel clumsy, like my motor skills are affected by this stiffness. Is it something that's normal after a virus or should I be booking a visit with GP on Monday? I have a bit of soreness in my calves bit I'm thinking it might be caused by some heavy exercising I did on Monday before I fell ill. Please help, not much helpful info online (or rather some scary arthritis stories) and I'm freaking out a bit.

conkerpods Sun 05-Jun-16 00:47:05

Hi,I had this about 4 years ago. My hands blew up and were very stiff. I was not noticeably ill before it happened but the GP suspected it was a post virus thing and I had a blood test which confirmed it. I can't remember if I had any treatment for it or not as it was a while ago now. Was very worrying as I'm a professional musician.

cavalo Sun 05-Jun-16 00:50:20

It could be reactive arthritis. If so, it's temporary and ibuprofen can help.

SpaceDinosaur Sun 05-Jun-16 00:51:53

I've got that this evening but I was putting it down to a weird pregnancy thing

marushka82 Sun 05-Jun-16 08:32:29

Anyone?

marushka82 Sun 05-Jun-16 08:35:32

Ah, sorry, just woke up and checked my phone first thing to see if anyone replied and I didn't notice your replies so tried bumping the thread.

Thank you for replying! I have a bit of stiffness today as well, some more in my calves as well sad Will get an appointment with a GP tomorrow I guess!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now