Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh no, does this sound like shingles?

(9 Posts)
Olivo Sat 04-Jun-16 08:29:56

Have been feeling a bit grotty for the last couple of days. Last night, woke in the night with a sharp burning pain in my left lower side. Felt sore to touch the skin too. Took nurofen and managed to get back to sleep. This morning, it hurts agin and I have three red blotches on my lower back, where the pain is. Does it sound like shingles? Is there any point in getting it checked out, or will they just tell me to rest?

Dashie Sat 04-Jun-16 08:34:19

Do the blotches look like blisters? It definitely sounds like it could be shingles. Speak to your out of hours GP service or go to a walk in centre (not A&E). If antiviral medication is started early it can limit how long you have symptoms for.

Olivo Sat 04-Jun-16 08:38:10

No, they are just blotches. I am not in the UK,so don't have quite the same system, but there is. A kind of walk in surgery on a Saturday so I could go and wait. The reason I'm hesitant is because it s quite expensive!

dun1urkin Sat 04-Jun-16 08:48:37

It does sound like it might be. There is a time window (72 hours) between getting the rash and it being worth taking antivirals that got me to the Dr earlier than I might have otherwise gone when I got shingles
It's on here:
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Treatment.aspx
By the way, antivirals don't make you better, but they do stop it getting worse IFSWIM.

Olivo Sat 04-Jun-16 08:50:15

Hmmm, I think I'd better go then. Thank you.

Dashie Sat 04-Jun-16 08:51:50

I'd say more than likely shingles based on what you've said. You could give it a few hours to see if blisters develop.

Olivo Sat 04-Jun-16 08:57:11

Good idea, Drs not open for a couple of hours anyway.

Olivo Sat 04-Jun-16 11:50:55

Thank you for your wisdom, dr thinks it might be too ,so I have antivirals.

Dashie Sat 04-Jun-16 22:13:29

You're very welcome! Hope you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now