Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this really all in my head, or could there be something else going on?

(8 Posts)
PhilPhilConnors Fri 03-Jun-16 12:50:46

I've been backwards and forwards to the dr's in the last year or so, feeling progressively worse.

I have lowish ferritin levels and low vitamin d levels which are being treated (two months so far).

I've been told I have anxiety and given propranolol, which helped a bit, but I still get weird chest feelings.

I am exhausted all the time, no improvement so far with iron or vit d.
I will occasionally have a good day, but this is followed by a few very exhausted days.
I get chest pains which can be controlled by breathing exercises, but I also get a weird chest feeling which is hard to describe - almost like my heart (or something) is doing a somersault.
I had an ecg a few months ago which was fine, but I was feeling fine when it was being done.
I have ASD and have two DC with ASD, so life is stressful.

Apart from the chest, I'm not in any pain, although my muscles will ache after a short amount of exercise, and my heart will pound. Just walking to the bottom of our small garden and back will feel like I've been running.

Anxiety does mostly fit, but it's so physical, and I'm worried that assuming this is all anxiety may mean that something else is being missed, and I'm struggling to cope with everything at the moment.

Should I ask for more investigations? If so, what?
Someone mentioned thyroid, but I think I had a blood test for that which came back as fine.
I have been doing mindfulness, which is helping me to rationalise, but I'm still exhausted and get weird chest feelings.

MummyBtothree Fri 03-Jun-16 12:57:02

Is it palpitations? I have anxiety and get alot of them.

PhilPhilConnors Fri 03-Jun-16 13:04:15

I don't know, I was prescribed propranolol for it, which does ease the anxiety, but didn't stop this feeling, which I thought it would.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 03-Jun-16 14:35:56

Never accept "fine" or "normal" when it comes to possible issues with the thyroid. Can you get a printout of your results?.

Something is being missed here and you are still not well.

I would have your thyroid levels checked again; what you describe could all be related to a problem with the thyroid gland.

www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/ This is a good website to read as well.

MummyBtothree Fri 03-Jun-16 15:32:01

Attila I've just had a good read on the website you suggested, sounds like it could be related to your thyroid.

PhilPhilConnors Fri 03-Jun-16 15:44:52

Thanks for the link Attila.
I'll make an appointment and speak to the GP about it.
I feel like such a moaner, but I'm so fed up of feeling like this, and do feel that anxiety doesn't cover it all!
Thankyou

Haggisfish Fri 03-Jun-16 16:55:14

Ask gp to test for thyroid antibodies. Probably probs caused by thyroid, but at levels not out of our range in uk.

PhilPhilConnors Fri 03-Jun-16 17:13:51

Thank you, I will do.
I have some niggly symptoms which appear on the checklist on the link above, but there are a lot of symptoms that I don't have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now