Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gum disease

(4 Posts)
cupidsgame Thu 02-Jun-16 17:18:02

Hi I've been told I have gum disease, I've been to a hygienist and she's done a scale and polish. Shes recommended I use interdental sticks to clean between my teeth. I told her my gums never bleed but she said they will bleed for a while because of the scale and interdental sticks. The thing is, they haven't. My gums have just never bled. I wonder if this is normal. So my question is... can you have gum disease without bleeding gums. I've also got a more noticeable gap between my teeth since the polish.

MiniMum97 Tue 07-Jun-16 18:12:55

It's very odd that you've not had bleeding gums. However if you have had gum disease and the gums are cleaned you may see some gum recession afterwards. This is because gum disease can cause some bone loss but also for the gums to swell. When the gums are cleaned the swelling will go down and you will be able to see the recession.
I had very bad gum disease in my 20s and this happened to me (my gums were bleeding though). Since I have taken better care if my gums their is less recession (gums recede as you get older regardless of gum health).
Hope that helps.

Maybenot321 Tue 07-Jun-16 22:14:23

Yes you can have gum disease without bleeding gums; especially if you smoke-it basically masks the bleeding.

cupidsgame Tue 07-Jun-16 22:37:13

I don't smoke though, but years ago I did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now