Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My Waist has increased by 9 inches in under 9 months with no weight gain - do I need to see a GP?

(15 Posts)
Katymac Sat 28-May-16 15:21:08

Or is there a nice easy answer like I eat too much?

It came up on another thread & I try to avoid the GP where possible - apparently I'm depressed, I get a headache & I'm depressed, I have an infected toe & I'm depressed, I have a chest infection & I'm depressed - so I have a feeling I know what my thick waist will be wink

Seriously tho' is it likely to be water retention or something I can self medicate?

PausingFlatly Sat 28-May-16 15:40:40

I hear your dilemma.

But that's potentially an actual, very serious nasty. You do need to see a GP, sorry.

(I'll be more specific if you like.)

legotits Sat 28-May-16 15:42:44

That's a baby.
Give it a week or so should clear up grin

But really.
GP no excuses smile

Katymac Sat 28-May-16 15:46:53

Well I have IBS so it may be connected to that or something premenopausal

Baby is massively unlikey (too old, DH has been snipped)

I have had fairly recent scans (within 2 yrs or so) so it's unlikely to be anything too dramatic - but I will ring on Tuesday for a July appointment <rolls eyes> (I went on-line to make an appt but there are none available)

PausingFlatly Sat 28-May-16 16:53:54

Good luck. Hope it just turns out to be something minor - as you say, some new annoyance from the IBS.

lougle Sat 28-May-16 18:03:11

I think you need to go to the GP, too.

awhfuck Sat 28-May-16 18:06:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katymac Sat 28-May-16 18:28:56

Yep - 48 no large signs of menopause yet

But tbh I have SO many other health problems I'm sure it will be minimised & labelled depression

But I will go - I pormise

Footle Sat 28-May-16 19:05:48

Didn't you read what PausingFlatly wrote ? You should consider asking for an emergency appt, as what you're describing is a long way from normal.

PollyPerky Sat 28-May-16 20:05:04

what has your waist gone from, to in terms of inches?

9 inches is a lot so be sure you are measuring correctly and weighing yourself correctly too!

If you really really haven't put on any weight at all and are just seeing a huge waist then get to the drs. You don't need telling that the obvious answer is a tumour, either benign or malignant, or an enlarged liver- do you drink a lot, or have you in the past?

Katymac Sat 28-May-16 20:05:28

I checked & I had an abdominal scan in Oct 14 - I suppose that is a bit long ago to be complacent

I just find appointments so depressing (pun intended)

I have an odd day on Tuesday so if they can fit me in I can go - it doesn't seem very urgent tho' & if I hadn't mentioned it on another thread I wouldn't even have considered an appt

Katymac Sat 28-May-16 20:15:13

Completely teetotal thb I prefer the Baby idea to that Polly

Often bloated with IBS but this has been quite consistent - from about 27 to about 35/36 I dress make so I hope I am measuring correctly - I know I last fitted into some trousers when I wore then out in September time - I don't now

My weight fluctuates between about 10 st 8 & 11 st 4 and has done pretty constantly for over 10 yrs (apart from when I went on a significant exclusion diet under medical supervision when I dropped to 9 st 7 & looked horrific which was in 2013)

PollyPerky Sat 28-May-16 20:20:34

So if your weight goes up and down by 10 lbs, it is quite possible that at your age and peri menopause, the weight distribution is because of your hormones- middle aged spread it's called smile

If you have put on no weight at all I'd be surprised at 9 inches on your waist BUT it is quite possible to lose muscle ( we lose something like a 1lb a year or more after 40) and replace that with fat around the abdomen, so weight stays the same but the body shape changes. So it is possible this is middle aged spread.

PollyPerky Sat 28-May-16 20:21:38

A scan 2 years ago is ages! I had a benign ovarian cyst that was scanned (privately) every 4 months and disappeared within 2 years.

Katymac Sat 28-May-16 20:27:43

The weight seems to be affected by the IBS - bad attack drop weight stable few days put on a pound or two

The bloating used to be specific to an area very much low tummy not waist - but I guess I just assumed it had spread - my whole tummy is sore to touch and has been for upwards of 15 yrs (so it's not new) so I generally wear loose clothing I had an ectopic which exploded and left it all in a bit of a mess

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now