Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Metformin slow release?

(9 Posts)
GiveMummyTheWhizzer Wed 25-May-16 21:21:26

Does anyone have any experience of Metformin slow release please?

Was on normal Metformin for PCOS for about 6 weeks but had to come off it as I couldn't stand feeling sick any longer... sad

Going to start on slow release tomorrow so looking for some first hand experiences?

Thanks smile

SauvignonPlonker Fri 27-May-16 21:37:00

I work in diabetes care & we use it a lot. Standard Metformin is well-known for causing side-effects & if you can persevere beyond the first couple of weeks, the side-effects to get better.

For those who can't tolerate standard metformin, GSR is generally much better tolerated than standard metformin. I'd say the majority manage ok on it, maybe not getting up to full dose.

notonyurjellybellynelly Sat 28-May-16 12:18:39

I use it and experience no side effects that Im aware of.

dementedma Sat 28-May-16 12:27:30

Metformin is vile stuff with horrible side effects. Dh is diabetic,and we know several other people who have also been put on this drug, all of whom experienced really unpleasant side effects such as chronic diarrhoea, stomach upset and vomiting.

notonyurjellybellynelly Sat 28-May-16 12:34:35

I use the slow release one and have experienced no side effects so its been very good for me and nothing vile.

trinity0097 Sat 28-May-16 18:47:02

I went onto the slow release, much kinder on the stomach.

No need for it now as I low carb and have reversed my diabetes.

Arfarfanarf Sat 28-May-16 18:49:58

I am on slow release for pcos. It's better than the other one.

maggiethemagpie Sat 28-May-16 20:47:57

I use it at max dose (2 of the big tablets) get on fine with it, just take the 2 tablets once a day then don't have to worry about it for 24 hours

SoThatHappened Mon 30-May-16 23:13:08

Slow release is better but I still notice side effects.

Ordinary gave me awful GI problems. Slow release makes me feel sick alot of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now