Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast pain/ chest xray results

(8 Posts)
Ambrosius Wed 25-May-16 16:26:06

I went to the GP today with breast pain, the nurse examined me and said she thought a mammogram would be a good idea, although she reassured me that pain is not usually a sign of cancer. Then the GP said he couldn't refer me for a mammogram because I'm too young (30). He referred me for a chest x ray, which I have now had but the results will not be with the doctor for 7-10 days. He said take painkillers for now.
I don't know what I'm asking really I'm just freaked out and sore.
Is it a good sign that the x ray result will take a while?

nmg85 Thu 26-May-16 10:02:56

I am surprised they sent you for a chest x-ray as that isn't standard for breast issues, usually it would be ultrasound and then possibly a mammogram. You don't really see detailed breast tissue on an x-ray. Results for an x-ray from a GP request will often be 7 - 10 days as it has to be reviewed by a radiologist, report written up and then sent back to GP.

Ambrosius Thu 26-May-16 20:46:40

I think the x ray was to check for lung problems, I don't know sad I don't know why lung issues would make my nipple/inside my breast painful though.

Ambrosius Thu 26-May-16 20:47:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DocMcFanjo Thu 26-May-16 20:52:00

Chest X-ray would be appropriate if the doctor heard something with stethoscope maybe. But if there was a query of a breast issue then agree with PP, it should be an ultrasound.

Ambrosius Fri 27-May-16 10:50:11

He didn't listen to my chest confused I guess I'll wait for the x ray results, and ask for an ultrasound at that appointment.

nmg85 Fri 27-May-16 11:07:12

If it was me I would question it now, that isn't the usual practice for breast issues and waiting 10 days is silly. Get a 2nd opinion.

Ambrosius Sat 28-May-16 12:33:10

I'm going to try and get and get an appointment this week, my nipple is itchy now so I'm doubly freaked out. Going to ask for a different doctor too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now