Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm considering a gastric band

(16 Posts)
PirateFairy45 Sat 21-May-16 10:03:21

Can anyone give me advice on this please?. I have been overweight my whole life.

I've been struggling more with my weight since having my DD. My BMI is 45 ish.

Please give me advice. Please please please

I just want to be healthy

PirateFairy45 Sat 21-May-16 12:19:33

No one?.

Mincepies76 Sat 21-May-16 20:58:46

You could try posting on the weight loss board? Have you tried the hypno band apps?

PirateFairy45 Sat 21-May-16 21:25:48

I'm gonna try the Paul McKenna one I think. I used it years ago n it worked. I lost 4.5stone.

I'm gonna try it religiously for a month. Then if no change, I'll speak to the doctor X

Mincepies76 Sat 21-May-16 21:32:37

Good luck. I'm doing a low calorie diet using nutracheck at the moment. I've lost 5lb in my first week and I've had a bar of chocolate every day!

PirateFairy45 Sun 22-May-16 07:20:08

Oh good for you!.

GastricBandit Sun 22-May-16 07:22:43

I have one.
It has worked for me.
Ask any questions you like.

eatyouwithaspoon Sun 22-May-16 07:37:20

I was referred to see consultant on Friday. Not sure if for a band but bmi would make me suitable for surgery. I try to loose weight but nothing happens anymore. I only know of 2 people who have had bands one who lost initially but then had to follow strict diet and another who lost and then put back on the 2 I know of who had bypasses kept weight off. I have heard there are other options now but I guess cons will go through it with me. I wish there was more support for food addiction, weight has plagued me my whole life and will kill me if this doesnt work. sad

Piggyinthemidriff Sun 22-May-16 07:49:13

I have a band. It's by no means an easy way to lose weight, you can still make bad choices, and chocolate is a lot easier to eat than an apple for example, but if you are like me, constantly hungry, obese and what I thought was a type two diabetic it was really worth it. In terms of cost effectiveness, it saves the Nhs massively in the long run although I paid privately for mine. Bypass and BP diversion will ensure you lose more weight and are less reliant on any will power on your behalf, but are slightly more complex surgeries and with that comes increased risk of complication. I felt as I only had a bmi of 34 it was worth starting with the least invasive procedure to see if that helped. Actually we have found my diabetes is a rare genetic kind called MODY and not type 2 after all but I have lost 3.5 stone in a year, and it is such a relief to not be constantly starving and always thinking about food. I feel like a normal person. I still have a few pounds to go but just not being hungry all the time makes that doable. Good luck. If you want to ask me anything please do.

Purplerain067 Sun 22-May-16 08:01:00

I have just been refered to the surgeons at the hospital for a gastric band. I couldn't go private as I'm a student and could never afford it. My BMI is 49 and my health is really suffering now. I have read up so much on it but find real life stories are the best type of information. On the NHS if that's the route you'll be taking, you do need to attend appointments for a minimum of 12 months beforehand. Good luck OP!

GastricBandit Sun 22-May-16 08:07:30

I agree if is not foolproof and you can still chuck chocolate / ice cream / wine down your throat with a band.
I also feel for the first time released from constant hunger and food addiction. I just don't feel as hungry any more and eat much much less.
I wish I had it done years ago.
I paid privately but it was worth every penny. I am spending much much less on food so it will probably pay for itself over a few years. I can now wear cheap high street clothes instead of expensive plus size brands.
I wish the NHS took food addiction and overeating seriously as there is no help available. Doctors always made me feel like shit with their attitude which really did not help.

Borogoves Sun 22-May-16 08:11:27

Why would you go to such extremes and never be able to eat normally again? I was obese and joined Weight Watchers. I am now a healthy BMI and feel great. Not just because I am no longer suffering with the joint problems, breathlessness etc but because I feel I have taken control back and have a sense of achievement that I have succeeded. There is a lady in our group who has had a gastric bypass and she was cheating it and barely losing any weight so joined Weight Watchers.She just got her 50 lb award the other week and said how she wishes she had never had the bypass.

QOD Sun 22-May-16 15:48:04

Hardly any bands are done o nhs now due to complications and low success rate. Ue you can still eat a tub of ice cream and high calorie foods
bypass and sleeve are much more common.
I've had bypass 5 yrs ago

bloated1977 Sun 22-May-16 15:53:43

I've lost 6 stone at slimming world in the past 12 months really without any effort at all. Whereas my friend has lost the same amount after surgery and is now so ill she can't work. Her body can't absorb any nutrients so she has to have a cocktail of infections to keep her going. She doesn't go out to restaurants as she can no longer eat much oh and her hair is falling out!!

bloated1977 Sun 22-May-16 15:54:13

*injections

QOD Sun 22-May-16 18:53:10

It does go wrong for.some. I know of 2 deaths and 2 like your friend and 2 reversals (very very complicated dangerous aurgery) but that's from 2 support groups, real life friends and family where there are in excess of 300 members

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now