Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dental phobia sedation

(5 Posts)
OhnowhatwasIthinking Fri 20-May-16 12:50:59

Ok well I need to be honest and say I am a total dental drama queen phobic. After an accident I have damaged my front tooth so badly it needs to be removed. My dentist is lovely and has suggested I have an implant. He has also suggested sedation. So here is the question...
Is it ok?
Are you really not aware of anything?
My terror is I will be scared and having a raving panic attack but not be able to do anything about it.
Sorry but any help gratefully received.

MountainDweller Sat 21-May-16 01:59:08

Dental sedation is great! I had two wisdom teeth out under sedation. I was terrified beforehand but it was completely fine. The sedation will make you feel relaxed and woozy and you won't care about what's going on. Some people find they don't remember anything afterwards; I did remember but not in a traumatic way, if you see what I mean.

You won't be allowed to drive after the sedation - you might feel a bit out of it for a few hours. I was told to have someone with me for 24 hours.

Good luck with the procedure.

OhnowhatwasIthinking Sat 21-May-16 07:16:35

Thanks so much for your reply. Can I just ask how you were sedated? My dentist said something about a spray. And how long after the sedation were you aware of what was happening?

RoseDog Sat 21-May-16 07:26:35

I had dental sedation a few weeks ago to get a broken tooth removed, I've never felt to relaxed in my life, it was over really quickly, it works as soon as they put the sedation into your arm.

I did feel a bit wobbly/weak for a few days after.

MountainDweller Sat 21-May-16 23:53:14

I had the sedation through an IV drip in my arm. I was aware on and off throughout but very calm and relaxed. I remember the first tooth coming out but not the second so I guess I was drifting in and out a bit, but I was aware enough to follow instructions - open wide, rinse, etc. I was a bit woozy and wobbly straight after and sat in the waiting room for maybe half an hour, but I was aware of things going on around me at that point. After that they checked I was ok and I was fine to walk to the car (DH drove us home!). Then a bit sleepy for a few hours. I would say it would be a good idea to take it easy for the rest of the day.

They put the IV in first thing and made sure I was relaxed before they did the anaesthetic injection - added bonus as often the injection is the worst part.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now