Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Plantar Fasciitis

(21 Posts)
saltwiththat Thu 19-May-16 17:49:16

I've diagnosed myself, but wow it's painful.
3 weeks down the line, I'm hobbling about in the mornings like a 90 year old.
I've stopped running, but not walking, have insoles in my trainers and stretching my quads regularly.
Please tell me there's a quick fix?

CPtart Thu 19-May-16 18:06:40

I had this and it lasted 3 months. I practically lived in my flip flop wedges as it was the only footwear I could tolerate. Ibuprofen gel also helped.
As that resolved I then developed lower back, hip and leg pain (same side) which has been diagnosed as due to leg length discrepancy. PF is apparently also a symptom..so all linked.
I sympathise but I don't think there's a quick fit, I still get twinges in the heel.

Wolfiefan Thu 19-May-16 18:07:36

Roll cold drink can or frozen bottle of water under your foot. Bliss!!

CopperPot Thu 19-May-16 18:11:43

^ came to post this. Was advised it by a podiatrist

mollyonthemove Thu 19-May-16 18:11:50

I also have it at the moment. Horrible! I did go to the docs and have some exercises. Can't run for ages though 😢

saltwiththat Thu 19-May-16 19:12:04

I'm not alone then.
Bottle of water in the freezer awaiting rolling.
I've also ordered some Flit Flops.

twinkletoedelephant Thu 19-May-16 19:15:26

Had mine for over a year :-(

Most mornings I have to psyche myself up to put my feet on the floor when I get out if bed....
Ice bottles do help and insoles. Go said I could have an Injection but its bloody painful and probably won't work... :-(

OnlyHereForTheCamping Thu 19-May-16 19:16:58

Taping can really help. Ask a podiatrist or google it. I eventually became intolerant to the tape and had to stop

YesYABU Thu 19-May-16 19:18:38

Roll a tennis ball or spiky massage ball under you foot in circles/ figure 8 daily.

mollyonthemove Thu 19-May-16 20:46:50

Getting out of bed knowing the pain to come is hideous ! I have some exercises (towel round foot and pulling mainly!) which I do before even attempting getting up!

AvonCallingBarksdale Sat 21-May-16 10:10:42

1) roll your foot on a frozen bottle of water
2) stand on the stairs with your heels hanging off and "bounce" (hold onto bannister, too)
3) Two hands flat on the wall, alternate stretching legs straight out behind you.
4) SIt on the floor, legs straight out, wrap a towel/scarf round the bad foot and hold onto the scarf and pull towards you, thus stretching your calf.
5) Get some Fit Flops and DO NOT EVER WALK BAREFOOT
6) Invest in some MBTs to take the pressure off your heel.
7) If you have any weight to lose, lose it!
8) Be prepared for a long haul - I've had it twice, once for 18 Months, second time, as I knew what it was straightaway, I acted quickly, but it still lasted for 6 months.
Good luck

thecatfromjapan Sat 21-May-16 10:14:34

I went back to yoga. The first 3 sessions were grim but something happened in the third session and - after two years of pain - it's pretty much gone. I think it was 'downward dog' grin that sorted it out - stretching my calf and ankle muscles, and relaxing them.

It's been a small miracle. I just wanted to come on here and share the joy.

Modan Sat 21-May-16 10:20:26

I cannot recommend this highly enough www.amazon.co.uk/Plantar-Fasciitis-night-splint-sock/dp/B00SPS6DJ6/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1463822261&sr=8-6&keywords=plantar+fasciitis+splint

I gave up high impact sport for 2 weeks and wore this every night and the difference was amazing. Also do the stretches and ice water bottle others have mentioned, but it was the splint that did it for me.

Im now back to high impact sport - in my case netball - and I just wear the splint the night after a match and there is either no pain or minimal pain in the morning.

FeckinCrutches Sat 21-May-16 10:23:50

Is it definitely PF? I thought I had it but turns out I had two stress fractures!

saltwiththat Sat 21-May-16 12:19:38

This is so useful, thanks very much
I've been religious about doing the exercises, am wearing Flitflops and trying to rest it a bit.
Although I've stopped running I'm a keen tennis player and really don't want to stop.
Strangely it doesn't hurt too much on the court but standing still for any period is agony.
Oddly enough Moden a physio mate suggested a night splint so I will consider, the amazon reviews seem mixed.
Don't think it's a fracture Feckin, my symptoms seem to tick all the boxes.
Cheers for the advice, it's very welcome.

mollyonthemove Sat 21-May-16 12:33:55

Having to stop running has really affected me mentally. I know that may sound a bit dramatic but it was something I took up after stopping drinking and has been a life saver. I still do other things but it is really making me very unhappy 😕

saltwiththat Sat 21-May-16 14:19:59

I totally understand molly, people say 'oh just stop running/tennis/riding/whatever' but it can be a big part of your life not only for fitness but for mental and physical wellbeing.
I hope you can run again soon flowers

mollyonthemove Sat 21-May-16 15:02:39

Thank you

barkingfly Sat 21-May-16 16:21:15

This is the one I use-https://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Orthotics-Universal-treatment-tendonitis/dp/B00WR2HCRI/ref=pd_sim_364_48?ie=UTF8&dpID=31SaSLGylrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=XWH3KKV5RFMX5D5J7HED

I can feel my muscles stretch.

DangerousMouse Sat 21-May-16 21:23:17

I had a steroid injection on Thursday, it didn't really hurt to have done but its pretty sore now but I can already feel the heel pain has gone - and I had it for 8 years! I'm getting the other foot injected next week.

Ktay Sat 21-May-16 23:10:16

My dad had the injection, it really helped. This was after leaving a previous bout untreated for a year as the GP (a fellow sufferer) told him there was nothing that could be done hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now