Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hyperthyroidism in men

(5 Posts)
Neverjoketodogs Wed 18-May-16 17:30:44

I started a thread last week worried about my DH as he has been feeling generally unwell for several weeks and by chance he had a urine dipstick (well man check at work) which showed blood and protein. This was the catalyst that sent him to his GP (after much nagging) and blood tests have revealed that he is hyperthyroid with both his free T3 and T4 off the scale. He has also been found to be anaemic and his 'inflammatory markers' are very high.

He has been started on treatment but his GP is 'puzzled' by his results ie the anaemia and raised markers and also hyperthyroidism is quite rare in males apparently.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what might be going on? Would hyperthyroidism also cause anaemia etc? He is having further tests including a chest x-ray. What might or might not be the significance of the blood/protein in the urine? As you can tell I am worrying myself silly!

ivykaty44 Wed 18-May-16 20:44:13

Has the gp found out why your dp has hyperthyroidism? Has he done antibodies test?

It is often caused by graves disease.

Have the doctors prescribed carbimizole and what dose? Beta blockers? What levels are the t3&4 do you know?

Thyroid can be controlled by drugs for a while to see if it settles down after 18 months and then if not there are alternative measures which, one is surgery which although major is very straight forward and then you take thiroxine.

Has your dp lost a considerable amount of weight? This could lead to anemia etc and as the weight setlkes along with his t3&4 reducing his body should recover

Neverjoketodogs Thu 19-May-16 07:32:45

Thank you for replying.

He has been started on carbimazole and the gp has referred him to endocrinology so perhaps they will test for antibodies.

His free t4 is >50 and free t3 is 18.2.

He weighs 10st and is nearly 6ft. He has always been slim but his usual weight is nearer 11st. It's reassuring that the anaemia might be related to his weight loss.

Do you know what might be the significance of raised 'esr'? The level is 47.

Pleasemrstweedie Thu 19-May-16 13:49:28

Raised ESR comes hand in hand with Graves' Disease. It's another thing that should settle with treatment.

Neverjoketodogs Thu 19-May-16 15:30:11

Thanks. That's reassuring. The gp seemed to think the raised ESR was not related to the thyroid which got me worried especially as she wants him to have a chest x-ray and also there is still the issue of blood/protein in his urine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now