Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post-root canal toothache - is this normal?

(7 Posts)
Thurlow Tue 17-May-16 13:53:30

I had an emergency root canal last Wednesday morning as part of my tooth fell off, so not because of an infection (there was no pain before at all). They did the first part of the root canal and put a temporary filling on it, which feels as though it has hardened/settled well. I'm going back for the next step in another three weeks.

For the past few days I've had a sort of nagging toothache on that side of my mouth. I'm pregnant so can't take ibuprofen and paracetamol isn't really helping. It's not a pain so much as an ache, and the tooth has no sensitivity to hot or cold, no pain when I bite on it etc, and it's not a pain so much as a sort of dull throb. Little bit of occasional earache too.

I do suffer a lot from sinus issues and they feel flared up at the moment with the start of hayfever season. I have a steroid nasal spray which I've just started and have talked to the GP about what antihistamines I can take too, which I'll start today. Normally I would use ibuprofen to calm the flare up for a few days, but obviously that's out of the question. I know I have had what felt like toothache before when my sinuses have been bad.

Does anyone know if it is morely likely that inflamed sinuses are hitting the root canal and making it feel worse, or does this sound like something has done wrong? I've never had 'proper' toothache before and OH has told me if it really was infected, I'd know about it. But this is annoying and I obviously can't take too much paracetamol, and certainly not for the next few weeks. Should I spend a few days hoping my sinuses calm down and hopefully that might fix it?

Majorlyscared1993 Tue 17-May-16 14:21:24

I've had 'proper toothache' from exposed nerves and then subsequently root canal treatment. The drilling takes a toll on your face and as the root canal isn't finished I'm sure it's very normal to have throbbing/pain/sensitivity. I always get 'sympathy' pains in the tooth directly above or next door. Weird!

Majorlyscared1993 Tue 17-May-16 14:22:38

And I'm in the same position... I'm pregnant and waiting for root canal. I've got to wait till June and sometimes I'm in agony from the exposed nerve. Gutted! I know your pain flowers

Thurlow Tue 17-May-16 14:34:08

Oh no, poor you sad I'm trying to reassure myself that it's had a battering, is only part done and my sinuses are making it play up.

It's just tiring thinking there might be three weeks of this with no real pain relief!

Majorlyscared1993 Tue 17-May-16 16:39:51

Yeah that drilling is pretty rough... And no I went to the dentist to ask if there's anything they can do but because of the baby there is nothing. I do hot and cold compress on mine if it gets really bad

EustachianTube Tue 17-May-16 19:17:59

I get toothache for days following anything done to my teeth (actually it's only ever one tooth I have stuff done on!), I must have particularly sensitive nerves. After the first few times, we figured it's just reacting to the prodding, I take regular ibuprofen for several days after the dentist and that really helps it to settle down.

OnTheMove28 Wed 18-May-16 10:24:11

I had complex root canal treatment a few years ago - the dentist showed me how the filling actually goes up into my sinuses (yuk!), so anytime I'm suffering from a cold or hayfever I get exactly the nagging ache that you describe. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting it to get any better but a couple of paracetamol is usually enough to sort it out. Of course, if you're worried you should go back to the dentist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now