Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Disgustingly taste in mouth after dental treatment

(13 Posts)
HeyMacWey Tue 17-May-16 10:45:27

Five days ago I had my second lot of root planing by the periodontist.

Since then I've had the most awful taste in my mouth - nothing I do shifts it. It's getting to the point where I'm put off eating as food tastes disgusting.

I had to have three lots of anaesthetic as the bottom set didn't work fully. Could this be a side affect from the anaesthetic?

Any ideas how long till my taste goes back to normal? This didn't happen first time round.

MrsJayy Tue 17-May-16 10:49:04

It's gross isn't it have you tried rinsing with salty water that's what I do after the dentist takes the taste away

HeyMacWey Tue 17-May-16 11:00:30

Have tried everything but salty water - will give it a go.

MrsJayy Tue 17-May-16 11:23:48

You need to do it twice a day

barkingfly Tue 17-May-16 12:58:14

I would check with the dentist office. It might be an infection you're tasting.

HeyMacWey Tue 17-May-16 14:09:17

Do you think it could be? I've had it as soon as the treatment finished - could an infection start that quickly?

5minutestobed Tue 17-May-16 14:11:10

It's the stuff they put in for treating a root canal, it tastes disgusting but it will fade! I've had it a few times.

HeyMacWey Fri 20-May-16 12:40:29

Rinsing twice daily but the taste remains. It seems slightly less strong but nevertheless still disgusting. It's noticeably worse after I've flossed on the side that was treated.

Phone the dentist and they just said to carry on with the salty water.

Thurlow Fri 20-May-16 12:41:55

Did you have a temporary filling? I had one the other day and it's taken a week for the taste to go - I think it's the cloves or whatever they put in when packing the tooth closed. Bloody horrible.

HeyMacWey Fri 20-May-16 12:43:33

No, no filling - just a deep clean below the gum line.

MrsJayy Fri 20-May-16 12:44:49

Just keep doing it if its still there by monday/tueaday phone back the dentist

HeyMacWey Fri 20-May-16 12:47:32

Will do - it's making wine taste like vinegar and drinking a cup of tea is impossible as it makes me gag. Eurgh.

Fingers crossed it'll improve over the weekend.

HeyMacWey Sun 22-May-16 16:08:15

The foul taste appears to be dissipating, but now my mouth just tastes really strongly of salt.
Have tried rinses etc but it comes back within minutes sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now