Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

General anaesthetic yesterday AM and haven't slept a wink last night - normal?

(6 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Tue 17-May-16 04:39:20

I had a GA for a quick 10 minute surgery yesterday morning.

Usually I sleep so well regardless of things like stress, health etc.and last night I haven't slept at all.

Is it a known thing that GA disrupts sleep patterns?

INeedNewShoes Tue 17-May-16 06:01:21

Shameless bump. Has anyone else experienced this?

lozwil Tue 17-May-16 06:15:53

I had a ga in Aug last year I had it for a short op and as it was an emergency it was done about midnight so I thought it wouldn't affect my sleep but it took me about a week or two to get back to a normal sleep pattern I found getting to sleep ok but woke up about 1 pottered about for a couple of hour and them managed a bit more sleep so I think it is a side affect but hopefully it won't last long x x

TheodoreEvelynMoseby Tue 17-May-16 06:24:00

It happened to me too. I had op around 11am and I slept on and off until midnight but then I was wide awake and could not sleep at all. Very frustrating but for me it was just that night and I was pretty much back to normal (sleep wise) the following day.

flowers wishing you a speedy recovery

INeedNewShoes Tue 17-May-16 06:31:33

Thanks for answering. It's so frustrating to feel so tired and in discomfort and not be able to sleep when I know that sleep will help me recover! Humph.

VeryNaice Tue 17-May-16 06:37:24

I had GA recently and found it hard to sleep the night after. It settled down after a few days and I'm sleeping normally again. If I can't sleep for whatever reason I just get up and go downstairs for an hour and have a cup of chamomile tea then go back to bed - it usually works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now