Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

52 small changes - Week 21

(19 Posts)
NightWanderer Tue 17-May-16 02:33:39

How are people going with last week's challenge?

This week's challenge is a little different.

Week 21 - Go organic

Whenever possible, buy organic fruit, vegetables, and animal products.

I must admit I don't often buy organic as I am feeding a big family on a low budget but this year I started my own allotment, so I think that counts. I also often shop at a local farmers market. How about everyone else?

Last week's challenge Week 20

8FencingWire Tue 17-May-16 06:08:37

Thank you night. I try and buy organic but is still doesn't taste any different from the rest. One thing I found: fruit and veg from turkish/greek/eastern european shops do taste different and is often cheaper. So I'll do that instead smile

NightWanderer Tue 17-May-16 07:14:07

No worries. She more emphasises the health benefits and environmental benefits. I think she wants us to think about food not just in terms of what it is but how it came to us.

The stuff at farmers markets is really good, I think. It always tastes fresher and the price is good. I prefer eating seasonal foods where possible.

NightWanderer Tue 17-May-16 07:15:27

The stuff at ethnic stores too sounds a great option.

margaritasbythesea Tue 17-May-16 07:16:00

Thankyou nightwanderer. This one is not going to happen for me. Tight on money and time to go to markets etc the moment

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Tue 17-May-16 10:40:36

I buy a mixture of organic and not, but am planning a vegetable garden when we eventually move into our house, so I will adopt this change - just not yet!

As for last week, well, I don't really think life has a meaning and most people are just filling time rather than having a purpose.

That might sound a bit negative but it's said with a shrug rather than hand-wringing.

I find it quite liberating to remove the pressure to 'achieve' smile

ICJump Tue 17-May-16 13:32:38

I try to buy some organic with each shop. If we are having something like burgers I try to get organic as it taste better and I feel better about having a lazy meal. Oh and peanut butter I get that as organic so it's salt and sugar free.
So ticking this week off. Polish halo.

Oh this week I'm trying to do sleep again. Aiming to be in bed before 11 all week

PurpleRibbons Tue 17-May-16 20:10:35

I did really badly last week i.e. I forgot all about it. I've already done this week's shopping so this week isn't looking good either! I would love to buy more organic, I buy a little but it's expensive.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 18-May-16 01:39:00

Oh, BTW, a MNetter has spoken to OddSocks and she's OK, just has RL distractions.

NightWanderer Wed 18-May-16 06:54:28

Thanks BBB that's good to hear.

margaritasbythesea Wed 18-May-16 07:13:30

Thanks bbb

PurpleRibbons Wed 18-May-16 07:22:45

Pleased to hear that.

cherrytree63 Wed 18-May-16 08:13:29

Hi, late joiner! I found the first 10 threads, then lost the trail until week 18; is there a recap list anywhere please?

NightWanderer Wed 18-May-16 21:19:44

Here are the challenges so far:

Food

Hydrate with water
Keep a food journal
Take a multivitamin
Have 4-6 servings of vegetables
Read nutrition labels
Eat a balanced breakfast
Choose wholegrains
Eat 5 small meals a day
Have 2-3 servings of fruit

Health

Get 7-8 hours of sleep
Have an optimistic outlook
Enjoy time alone
Breathe deeply
Laugh often
Live with purpose

Exercise

Get routine activity every day
Stretch 20 minutes, 3x a week
Aerobic activity 30 minutes, 3x a week

Environment

Keep allergens out of your house
Use nontoxic cleaning products
Buy organic food

cherrytree63 Wed 18-May-16 22:11:00

Thanks! smile

quirkychick Sat 21-May-16 16:17:15

I've just found you! It fell off the "threads I'm on". I think we manage some organic, and I try to buy free range meat etc. So sort of.

Bewitched I think I've found some short-term meaning/contentment in life, but not long-term. I'm still stuck in the being busy with dcs, really. Especially, dd2's SEN, which takes up lots of time and mental energy. I'm trying to fit in more things that I enjoy but at some point, I need to start to focus on me for the long-term, so not a great big save-the-world meaning smile.

8FencingWire Tue 24-May-16 03:40:26

Hi, night, do we have one for this week too? Pretty please?flowers

NightWanderer Tue 24-May-16 04:18:27

Yes, sorry I had a crazy weekend. I'll post it in a few hours.

NightWanderer Tue 24-May-16 14:39:12

Sorry for the delay. Here is Week 22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now