Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS going to ruin my day again

(7 Posts)
Minime85 Sat 14-May-16 15:05:49

Just need to moan really. Had diagnosed IBS for 15+years. It is up and down and manage it through diet mainly and acupuncture on a very bad flare up. I should have shares in immodium. Having a party tonight and out of no where I have an attack. I just ate a jacket potato as thought was nice and plain and would line my stomach but 30 minutes later and I'm stuck in bathroom. Guest arriving soon and I won't be able to have a drink or enjoy the food. Feeling very fed up.

soapboxqueen Sat 14-May-16 15:12:10

I used to just not eat. I'm on the low Fodmap and it's been much better.

However, I know what you mean. flowers

Spam88 Sat 14-May-16 16:54:58

You have my sympathy sad

BIWI Sat 14-May-16 16:56:16

I'm sorry sad It's horrible, isn't it?

Mine is kept at bay by eating a low carb diet. Maybe that would be worth a try? I think the FODMAP is very similar.

chocdonutyy Sat 14-May-16 17:04:38

I don't have medically diagnosed ibs but a fair few of the symptoms, I've recently discovered skins on fruit or vegetable could be a problem for me so your jacket potato may be the culprit!
Everyone's different though but it may be worth cutting out things like jackets, beans, tomatoes ect temporarily imodium might be the way to go today unfortunately :/

Minime85 Sun 15-May-16 06:43:51

Thank you. My reply from yesterday hadn't posted for some reason. I have such a restricted diet because of it. I haven't eaten wheat for about 15 yrs as that's certainly a trigger. I can't have fizzy things or citrus. Only a small bit of cheese and that can't be melted! Limited diary. No greasy foods. No alcohol until recently where I can manage the odd glass. Limited yeast products and that just seems to be in everything.

I got through it but such a shame I couldn't join in all the lovely food and drink. Just got to me yesterday. I usually just avoid eating if I'm going out or travelling so I can at least still take part in things.

McBassyPants Mon 16-May-16 06:57:37

I struggled along for years just taking buscopan when required but rarely went a day without pain. I finally went back to my gp recently and changed to Fybogel with Mebeverine twice daily and it's been a revelation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now