Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

meal ideas needed...please

(10 Posts)
Caught11 Mon 09-May-16 19:50:16

My DH is going through a rough time with ulcerative colitis at the moment, he is 2 weeks into a 8 week course of steroids and still having big toilet issues.
He only wants plain simple food at the moment but I am running out of ideas, as cant do spices etc....no pasta.
Any ideas would be great

GruffaloPants Mon 09-May-16 19:51:54

Grilled fish with risotto.
Sausage and mash.
Steak pie and... Mash!
Baked potato and roasted gammon with peas and carrots.

Caught11 Tue 10-May-16 07:35:40

thanks for that, funnily enough Baked potato and gammon is on the menu tonight, just seem to be cooking the same things all the time, if anyone has anymore ideas feel free smile

LaCerbiatta Tue 10-May-16 16:28:00

- Grilled or oven baked chicken breasts with boiled rice and vegetables.
- Pan fried or oven baked fish (cod, sea bass, sea bream) with vegetables and boiled potatoes
- Nicoise salad
- Soups (no spices)
- steak with new potatoes
- rice with meat or fish and vegetables (sortof like kedgeree but without the spices)
- chicken soup with rice noodles and pak choi, made with miso soup

I would personally avoid sausages (too spicy with black pepper, etc) and mash or risotto because of the dairy

WindPowerRanger Tue 10-May-16 16:33:44

Leek and potato soup.
You can make dairy free mash and risotto, but olive oil mash is an acquired taste.
Kebabs of turkey thigh meat with courgette and peppers.

sadie9 Tue 10-May-16 17:24:09

Steak pie - sirloin steak, you can be stingy, some beef stock, cornflour etc. Chuck in a pie dish, pop a ready rolled puff pastry sheet over it. Serve with potatoes and veg. Maybe puff pastry is too rich also...

A slow cooker might be handy if you don't already have one. You can do no end of stews and casseroles. If everyone will eat it, you can even chuck potatoes in before the end of the cooking time.

canyou Tue 10-May-16 17:30:30

Is he doing foodmap?
I have had crust less quiches some with ham some with salmon etc and sweet potato wedges
Salmon with salad
Herb potato with veggies and fish or chicken
A lot of soups
Stir fry with rice
Kebabs
Rice noodles with chicken and veg
I make mini fritatta in a muffin tin and freeze for quick and easy snacks and breakfast

canyou Tue 10-May-16 17:32:44

What Sadie9 has said I have 3 slow cookers . Easy to make soup over night and stews or even joints of meat.
Will he eat porridge? I have a timer plug and we have porridge ready to eat when we get up (if he avoiding wheat/gluten I seem to be ok with the aldi gf oats)

Caught11 Thu 12-May-16 18:01:15

thank you all for taking the time to reply, you are life savers smile
Can you what is a food map ?

Allalonenow Thu 12-May-16 18:16:31

Fish chowder
Fish pie
Braised steak with root vegetables
Roast chicken & vegetables
Chicken and vegetable bake, aubergine courgette etc.

Cauliflower rice and courgetti to ring the changes a bit for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now