Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Itchy bum, nearly 2 years...

(28 Posts)
Notthebumtroll Sun 08-May-16 00:36:38

I've name changed (I hope) obviously as its a bit embarrassing.

I had to move out of the house I shared with exdp when we split up and noticed as I moved that I was having a rather itchy anus. At first I thought it was worms, but I self treated and still had the itching. Then I wondered if I had moloscum as I'd noticed little itchy bumps on my fingers but when I went to the gp they said it wasn't those and sent me on my way with a cream.

I was still having the problem, sometimes it was unbearable and though I tried not to itch at times it was impossible not to and the relief from itching was amazing!

My current gp is amazing, she's the third I've seen with the same issue but she can't figure it out either. She's checked for STIs and has examined me but doesn't know what is doing it or how to help it. The only cream that seems to work is lotriderm but you can't use it long term so I try and go through a two week period of using it, gradually come off it and then usually I start to feel the itching come back within a few days but I try and last a couple of weeks before I use the cream again.

I know I need to go back to see the doctor again but I'm at a bit of a loss. She doesn't know what it is or how to get rid of it. She said perhaps I've just got really sensitive skin as I've had acne and adult eczema as well as the odd bout of ringworm before. She seems to think it could be a yeast type infection but caneston cream doesn't shift it. I've had thrush a couple of times before- had all the usual symptoms and it cleared up normally.

It's usually just my anus that itches but often the perenioum too. Rarely the vulva area itches too.

I had wondered about overactive candida but when I mentioned it to gp she brushed it off.

Has anyone got any ideas, I'd really appreciate it!

Idefix Sun 08-May-16 21:14:04

I would say it is worth treating as thrush for a couple of weeks to see?

LittlePoot Sun 08-May-16 21:19:15

Ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist. I haven't had exactly the same but itching somewhere equally unnecessary for a number of years. Dermatologist diagnosed a form of excema and gave me a suitable steroid cream and it went away. Came back once or twice but seriously a miracle cure. Dermatologists will offer solutions GPs can't.

findingmyfeet12 Sun 08-May-16 21:24:40

I've had a condition called dhobi itch that was agonising. It was in that general area and I had to use an anti fungal cream. It cured it immediately.

Kwirrell Sun 08-May-16 21:43:13

I had this for years until someone suggested smothering in sudocreme. It does work but i did have to apply regularly and generously. I was also recommended to change to Fairy non-bio and fairy conditioner. It rarely comes back now after suffering for 4 years?

findingmyfeet12 Sun 08-May-16 22:57:08

If you have dhobi itch then any other creams which are not anti fungals will only make it worse. The fungal infection thrives in the damp conditions often created by other creams.

Madlizzy Sun 08-May-16 23:04:51

I have this. I use dermovate for a couple of days when it flares up and that sorts it. It's not funny and you have my sympathies xc

PoshPenny Mon 09-May-16 21:48:18

How old are you, could it be urogenital atrophy? I just realised this week that I don't wake up any more in the middle of the night for a wee, don't scratch myself silly every night now (same places as you). I'm sleeping right through and generally more comfortable down there. This is all since I got treatment for that. Thrush type treatments did stop it in the short term but then it would always come back. Just a thought.

Notthebumtroll Sat 14-May-16 10:12:16

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the idea of seeing a dermotologist, I might ask for a referral next time I go to the gp (which will be soon as I'm running out of cream!)

I'm 29 so I would hope age related conditions wouldn't affect me yet but I suppose you never know!

sadie9 Sat 14-May-16 11:45:25

Could it be sweat related or friction? Have you tried placing one sheet of loo paper folded between the cheeks for the day and see if that helps. Because you said it came on when you were moving house - it could be that.
Also look at the underwear you have. Some synthetic knickers will give a heat rash much quicker than others. You probably eliminated this already.

Notthebumtroll Sat 14-May-16 12:02:49

I have read about the loo roll thing. I'll try it. I'm pretty sure all my knickers are cotton and I've been trying to use less fabric conditioner. I've also tried sensitive bottom wipes and drying with paper after using wipes too. As well as drying properly 'in the crack' after baths!

I've also done a two month trial with completely non scented pads/tampons as I had bought some by accident but nothing seems to have made any difference...

BestIsWest Sat 14-May-16 20:59:13

If you think you might have candida try the Harcombe diet. The first phase which lasts 5 days specifically targets Candida.

MiniJellyBeans Sat 14-May-16 21:12:22

Agree with the suggestion of trying to get a dermatology referral, ideally to a consultant specialising in the genital area. It could be many things, but the fact that it's around the anus and sometimes the perineum/vulva would make me wonder about something like lichen sclerosus ( also called "lichen sclerosus et atrophicus") which is thought to be an autoimmune skin condition rather than an infection.

2016Hopeful Mon 16-May-16 14:39:08

Have you tried taking an antihistamine for a week or two to see if it has any effect? I had a really strange itchy/crawly feeling in my jaw that was driving me crazy (obviously a completely different area!) and that is the only thing that got rid of it. Might be worth a go??

MidMay Mon 16-May-16 14:48:31

Yes ask GP for dermatology referral. As pp mentions, it could be something like lichen sclerosis especially as you mention it affects perineal area too.
I've linked the NHS page for you:

Notthebumtroll Mon 16-May-16 22:46:21

Thanks again for advice.

I doubt it's lichen as I don't have any white bits- which seems to be a notable element of it. I've been inspected a few times by a dr and have had a look myself (!) and not seen anything other than some immflamation which I guess is from the itching I try not to do but sometimes can't help.

I've bought some yoghurt drinks today and will try one a day for a month (will that be long enough?) to see if the pro biotics help.

Antihistamine is a good idea, might try that after the yoghurt drinks.

I keep meaning to try going no sugar so the Harcome diet is another good one to try. Might see how I go with the other ones first though cutting sugar out would help with the losing weight thing...

Thanks again everyone!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 16-May-16 22:48:55

I'd be tempted to try an anti fungal too.

Notthebumtroll Mon 16-May-16 22:56:31

I think I've tried an anti fungal cream already... I've definitely also tried anti fungal tablets.

I was tried on a weaker steroid cream than the one I'm on now but it wasn't very effective. (Though partly that was because it had to be stored in the fridge and I regularly camp. It was massively inpractical).

CupcakesRule Mon 16-May-16 23:07:28

I'm the same. Exactly. I could of written your post myself.
I have given up seeing a GP now as after 4 years is not got any better sad

INeedNewShoes Mon 16-May-16 23:16:07

I get this but only when I eat something I'm intolerant to, in my case soya and palm oil. Both of these give me a slightly sore mouth too.

I gather something like 1 in 4 people are intolerant to soya so it might be a place to start to see if avoiding it helps.

Or, other potential sensitivities like to knickers with nylon, polyester or lace in them. I only wear cotton undies.

Notthebumtroll Mon 16-May-16 23:30:16

Oh god Cupcakes that's awful! Do you use cream like me?

I wondered about allergies/intolerances but can they start suddenly like that? How can I find out? I thought about getting a test a while ago but the General concensus was that they aren't very accurate...

INeedNewShoes Mon 16-May-16 23:43:10

Skin prick tests done properly would be a good starting point. Otherwise a useful next step might be to choose a couple of consecutive days where you're at home and can prepare your own food. Eat a very basic diet those two days avoiding the most common allergens (gluten, dairy, nuts, soya, shellfish, celery, sulphites, eggs). If the itching improves during this time you know that it's worth investigating further these foods individually as a potential problem.

Example menu those two days could be:
Breakfast: gluten free muesli with rice milk, or a banana
Lunch: homemade soup (don't use stock cube) or a big salad with tuna
Dinner: chicken or fish with new potatoes and veg

This wouldn't be to be a long term thing but could be a starting point to sussing out if food is related at all to the issue.

Notthebumtroll Mon 16-May-16 23:47:49

Would I only need to do a couple of days?

I found a testing company for allergies they take your hair-

Would they test allergies and intolerances? Are allergies just severe intolerances?

Notthebumtroll Mon 16-May-16 23:48:51

I prepare my food quite a bit anyway and am currently into salads so could do that relatively easily 😊

JeopardyMouse Mon 16-May-16 23:50:05

I had this too - mine is brought on by getting hot and sweaty I think. The best thing I did was swap washing with just plain water in the shower/mild soap on occasion to using aqueous cream - as suggested by my gynae friend. Plain water can apparently be too drying for the skin. I sleep with no pants/PJs on - get lots of fresh air when possible and shower as soon as I get home from work if I'm sweaty and dry with a hairdryer.

It's horrible though. Hope it gets better OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now