Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonight I chocked and had to be heimliched.

(9 Posts)
neolara Sat 07-May-16 22:52:59

So tonight I was having supper with a group of friends. Bit into a piece of pineapple and it got well and truly stuck in my windpipe. Fortunately, my dh realised immediately what was happening and did the heimlich manouver and after about 10 thrusts the blockage flew out. Me, shaken but fine.

However, I'm now starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me. This is the third time I've has to be heimliched. That's just weird, right? The first time was a tiny piece of apple and the second time was a chip. All three times have been properly serious life threatening choking.

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about what might cause this.

gingeroots Sat 07-May-16 23:11:50

I think you should go to the GP and hopefully you'll be referred for tests/endoscopy .
It doesn't sound right ,so don't ignore it .

Itsmine Sun 08-May-16 08:57:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bluebelle2662 Sun 08-May-16 11:31:00

I definitely think you need checking out.

Glad to hear your are OK

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 08-May-16 11:32:35

My mum had similar and tests showed she had a narrowing of the osephagus. Achalasia? She had to have it stretched.

FarelyKnuts Sun 08-May-16 11:36:49

3 times seems excessive. That must have been very frightening. I've had it happen once and it was terrifying (not helped by how long it took for anyone to realise I was choking!). Kept having flashbacks for a couple of days after.
I'd definitely have a chat with your GP

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Sun 08-May-16 11:39:57

Could indicate a neurological problem, are there other symptoms?

I agree to see GP definitely

PurpleWithRed Sun 08-May-16 11:40:18

Also, while DH has obviously done a fantastic job in clearing the blockage and good on him, the advised approach is 5 back slaps followed by 5 abdo thrusts and then 5 blows/5 thrusts until it's gone - the combo/switch of blows/thrusts is very effective if one approach doesn't work immediately, and back blows are less damaging than abdo thrusts (advice is that you should be checked over after abdo thrusts in case of internal damage).

And personally, if I'd done 5 blows/5 thrusts and not got a good result I'd be getting someone to dial 999 - you can always stand the ambulance down if the blockage comes clear.

gingeroots Mon 09-May-16 09:27:16

I keep wondering if the food got stuck in the oesphageous ( which I can't spell ! ) or the trachae .The tube to your stomach or the tube to your lungs .

Though either is worrying .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now