Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! I need advice about bleeding while on mini pill

(18 Posts)
kissedbyamoonbeam Sat 07-May-16 15:27:14

I was put on Cerelle by my gp to help control heavy bleeding. (I had asked for an implant) I started on day one of my period, finished first strip, just started second. I have bled constantly. Fairly light except for the 2 periods I've had in 29 days (not including the one at the beginning). Should I persevere? Tbh, the idea of stopping now and having another period fills me with dread. Especially as it will be painful and heavy. I have endometriosis. I would appreciate advice thanks.

BaboonBottom Sat 07-May-16 15:31:30

I've been through virtually every mini pull out there, all ended with continuous bleeding and chronic pain. After asking for a hysterectomy they said try the depo, that was 18 months ago. It's been fantastic. I was worried as obviously once it's in, it's in. But they gave me something to stop the bleeding if it happened but it's been fine.

Go back and talk to your GP

kissedbyamoonbeam Sat 07-May-16 15:41:45

Thanks Baboon I guess I'm pissed at her as well because she completely ignored my request for depo. I've also had the rage for nearly 3 weeks now. Not good. I will go back. To a different gp. Again sad what was the lingest you tried any one type of pill?

BaboonBottom Sat 07-May-16 15:47:14

4 -6 months I think, it's difficult as I felt so deflated everytime as I knew it would be a fight to change. You soon know I think, one of them gave me pmt like I've never had. Honestly, I started self harming and had suicidal thoughts. I nearly left my family I felt that crap.

Sirona Sat 07-May-16 15:56:59

I bled constantly on the minipill too. Sorry. It only stopped when I stopped taking them and then I didn't get a period for 9 weeks, during which time I spent a fortune on pregnancy tests freaking out.

Injection works best for me. I only get a very light period once every three months or so and no agonising ovulation pain.

kissedbyamoonbeam Sat 07-May-16 16:06:38

Thanks Sirona
Right I'm stopping. I have a period anyway. I also have mef acid, tranex acid and co codamol. How awful can it be winkcake
The depo thing can be taken out at any time tho? I am going to push for it. Does my age matter? I'm 50.

MillieMoodle Sat 07-May-16 16:17:28

I was on the mini pill (cerazette) for 6 months and bled continuously. It was awful. I also had horrendous back ache and was angry all the time. I came off it in January 2015 and my periods were all over the place but I felt a lot better than when I was on it!

Wolpertinger Sat 07-May-16 16:25:38

How long have you persevered? I bled daily for 3 months and was about to give up when it suddenly stopped. Not had any bleeding at all since for 7 years and it's bliss.

kissedbyamoonbeam Sat 07-May-16 16:48:08

It's only been a month but I am very tired, borderline anaemic and the idea was to help those symptoms. Now I'm more tired than ever. I don't think I could manage 3 months. My mood is horrible too and I have 3 teens, one just started exams so I have to be radiating calm. Kind of!!

dementedpixie Sat 07-May-16 17:00:53

The depo is an injection so no it can't be removed at any time. Are you thinking of the implant (nexplanon)?

dementedpixie Sat 07-May-16 17:01:50

P.s. Cerazette stopped my periods for the 4 years I took it. I now have the mirena coil and still have no periods

kissedbyamoonbeam Sat 07-May-16 17:15:01

I always thought depo was an implant too blush

dementedpixie Sat 07-May-16 17:22:19

No depo provera is an injection done in the hip/bum area that lasts for 12 weeks. I bled a lot with it and gave up after the second one.

kissedbyamoonbeam Sat 07-May-16 17:25:40

Thanks. Don't fancy that. At all. I may just go back to managing the pain. At least I know what to expect.

dementedpixie Sat 07-May-16 17:27:03

www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/contraception-older-woman/ - suggests implant and depo injection should not be used for women over 50. The mini pill and mirena are OK for longer. You could try a different mini pill as there are others with different hormones to cerelle.

kissedbyamoonbeam Sat 07-May-16 17:39:07

Thanks demented interesting reading.
I think my options are very limited because of endo. Cerelle is supposedly the best I think, hormone wise.

dementedpixie Sat 07-May-16 17:46:16

Mirena seems to get used for endometriosis from what I have read so maybe that could be an option for you

kissedbyamoonbeam Sat 07-May-16 17:49:25

Thanks demented appreciate that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now