Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this a migraine and what should I do about it?

(6 Posts)
Bollard Sat 07-May-16 10:46:49

About 6pm yesterday I had fuzzy zig zags in my vision. My nose and cheeks felt tingly. My neck hurt. Then I had a right-sided headache and felt queasy. I went to bed early and this morning I still feel quite disoriented and my vision isn't great ( but more like floaters now).

I've had something like this about twice before over the past 18 months. I'm 45. I'm assuming it is a migraine but other than paracetamol for the headache is there anything I can do to help with the symptoms?

Thanks

Imnotaslimjim Sat 07-May-16 10:55:16

If its a new thing for you, really you need to pop to the GP for a check over to make sure it isn't anything more sinister. It most likely is a migraine. Best you can do is stay hydrated, rest loads and if the symptoms are very bothersome you can get medication to help

NotQuiteJustYet Sat 07-May-16 10:58:00

What you're describing sounds like migraine aura symptoms that I get so I would be inclined to say you've probably got a migraine. I'd ramp up the painkillers if possible because I fine paracetamol do nothing for them, use ibuprofen instead if anything - but personally, I also chuck in some codeine for good measure. (Some schools of thought believe migraine are caused by constriction and then expansion of blood vessel or something, so apparently ibuprofen are better suited as pain relief.)
Other than that my only advice is to take yourself off to bed with plenty of liquids, keep the curtains and blinds closed, and try to sleep it off. Good luck flowers

Destinysdaughter Sat 07-May-16 10:59:35

I get these occasionally, I take a painkiller, close my eyes and try to breathe into the pain until it subsidizes. I've tried to work out what the trigger is, but haven't found a connection. Not sure what else you can do but go see your GP if they get worse?

Bollard Sat 07-May-16 11:06:22

Thanks, that's all really helpful. I'll get some more painkillers down me, although the general discombobulation is the worst bit. I guess I'd better start keeping a note to see if I can identify triggers.

Wolpertinger Sat 07-May-16 11:23:43

Sounds like a migraine. You should see your GP for a prescription for a triptan for analgesia for next time. Paracetamol is rubbish for migraine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now